The farmers market thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll start the ball rolling with the fingerling potatoes I bought at Tompkins Square yesterday. I am very bad at remembering the names of stalls, but there are only half a dozen or so here (open Sund

They make Hooligan (full stop) which some might call stinky. And mean that as a compliment.

Nice to see you here, Paul.

Posted Images

look at you, 745, go Sneak! 

I have my greenmarket routine, i go to Lucky Dawg in Fort Greene.  I try to buy everything they have... Saturday I purchased 5 heads of lettuce, green beans, cabbage, mint, dill, parsley, fennel, carrots, beets, cucumber and blueberries and that was it.. .

No lines at the Columbia Greenmarket! Granted I went in the afternoon as soon as the rain stopped, but still.

Corn, blueberries, tomatoes, some apple mint. Basically, I bought summer.

• 2 weeks later...

We've been so lucky with July's and with this morning's GAP lines -- short to nonexistent at or before 8:15 a.m. We''l have tuna ceviche tonight, though its fruit and veg will be from yesterday's delivery. Today's corn, stone fruit, and cauliflower, from Keenan Farms, we'll let age a day. Maybe we'll boil a little of the corn. You can again walk Keenan's tent aisles to pick your own from the bins. I cradled some fat, unblemished peaches while lovely spouse bruised smaller nectarines with her fingertips.

But this morning at around 7:45, as our line near the arch grew for Blue Moon Fish, next to Baker's Bounty (which I prefer to their competitor Bread Alone two stands to the west), around a dozen bikers gathered before their group park ride. All unmasked and loud, they stood closer to some line-waiters than we line-waiters were to one another. Maybe another waiting shopper could've been more polite than telling them to "move their COVID hotspot." But would have a more polite request been more effective?

I got to the GAP a little later than usual today -- at around 8 instead of 7:45 -- and there was only a very short line at Blue Moon, and also at Evolutionary.  Line at Willow Wisp still prohibitively long.

No bikers, though.

I'm pretty sure I passed by you, Josh, at Evolutionary.  But it was in the tight confines of the outer perimeter, so I didn't feel like I could stop to ask you if you were you.

1 hour ago, Sneakeater said:

the vendors at GAP are now letting customers pick their own produce

This is almost enough to get me to Brooklyn. No one at Union Square can be trusted to choose a cucumber. It's criminal.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sneakeater said:

Oh, I forgot:  the vendors at GAP are now letting customers pick their own produce -- but only after sanitizing their hands before approaching the bins.

Not doing that on the Upper West Side. Heavy meeting schedule yesterday meant the spouse went to W. 97th street for the first time this season - he complained all afternoon about the inefficiency.

16 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

I got to the GAP a little later than usual today -- at around 8 instead of 7:45 -- and there was only a very short line at Blue Moon, and also at Evolutionary.  Line at Willow Wisp still prohibitively long.

No bikers, though.

I'm pretty sure I passed by you, Josh, at Evolutionary.  But it was in the tight confines of the outer perimeter, so I didn't feel like I could stop to ask you if you were you.

They were almost certainly sharing their aerosols in the park by then.

Feel free to say hi, you and anyone else -- in recent years I haven't met anyone besides Aaron in/to/from the food coop, where I no longer shop (sob). If I look hurried/worried, all the better for me/us to socialize in this crazy time.

Josh and Juliet masked in park.jpg

A nice hall from Delaware Water Gap:  I purchased a ton of san marzano style tomatoes, they sucked, i baked some.. I am making eggplant parm.. 

In addition to this I have, a large hen of woods mushroom, i have corn, i have onions, kale, collards, eggplant, chantrelles, radicchio, green beans, carrots, squash, cucumbers, peppers of every kind and color and spice level and chard. 

50263127191_b05f811117_z.jpg 

Made a fruit salad for breakfast the other day.., Grapes, nectarines, peaches, plums, grapes and watermelon. 

50261370161_8c71e9bf30_z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Last day for blueberries at Samascott this morning. I bought two new crop apples - Zestar variety, which I've never had before. Super juicy and tart. An excellent eating apple. Also bought corn, yellow tomatoes and zucchinis

Fairy tale eggplants, red chard and sun golds from Lani's.

Planning on making a succotash and chilled yellow tomato soup with the haul.