The farmers market thread

As you might have noticed, my response to any Quarantine-related problem is to buy audio equipment.  So in order to solve the Greenmarket Line Problem, I got a DragonFly Cobalt Phone DAC and a pair of good IEMs (that's In-Ear Monitors to you -- or fancy earbuds), and now, channeling my Qobuz account through my phone, I no longer hate waiting.

Good thing, too, cuz this week's produce was bounteous.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll start the ball rolling with the fingerling potatoes I bought at Tompkins Square yesterday. I am very bad at remembering the names of stalls, but there are only half a dozen or so here (open Sund

They make Hooligan (full stop) which some might call stinky. And mean that as a compliment.

Nice to see you here, Paul.

Posted Images

I got those very nice fresh beans from Rick Bishop and this time I didn't make the mistake of leaving them in the fridge until they sprout and smell like vegans. They're really very good and I'm almost sure there's a tripa de bacalao dish with them coming to the menu later this week if he has them again...either that or I'll callos callos a la madrileña (de bacalao).

And yes, lots of good stuff right now.

2 hours ago, Orik said:

I got those very nice fresh beans from Rick Bishop and this time I didn't make the mistake of leaving them in the fridge until they sprout and smell like vegans. They're really very good and I'm almost sure there's a tripa de bacalao dish with them coming to the menu later this week if he has them again...either that or I'll callos callos a la madrileña (de bacalao).

And yes, lots of good stuff right now.

Have you sniffed that many vegans? How would you describe their aroma?

On 9/13/2020 at 11:11 PM, bloviatrix said:

Have you sniffed that many vegans? How would you describe their aroma?

A few. 

Not surprisingly it's similar to the smell of natural food stores - grains, sprouted beans, and some fermentation products (tempeh, maybe). There's a place called Orchard Grocer (predictably on Orchard St.) that gives off a potent version of the archetypal odor whenever the door opens so if you don't want to go sniffing vegans in person you can just walk by there :) 

52 minutes ago, Orik said:

A few. 

Not surprisingly its similar to the smell of natural food stores - grains, sprouted beans, and some fermentation products (tempeh, maybe). There's a place called Orchard Grocer (predictably on Orchard St.) that gives off a potent version of the archetypal odor whenever the door opens so if you don't want to go sniffing vegans in person you can just walk by there :) 

That place. I went in once, and went running out.

But at least the natural food stores of the 2000's don't have the same smell as the "health-food" stores of the 1970's. With that aroma of curry-ish cooked-ish somethin-ish. 

I made my first trip to Union Square in a few weeks, and a lot of good things happened.

Savoie Farm (I think) now lets you handle the produce, as long as you sanitize your hands and put everything in a separate big plastic bag. Bonus: I now have a lot of big plastic bags to use for trash and recycling. Extra bonus: They still have okra. I thought the season was over.

After I bought a pint of mixed mushrooms from Gail's Farm, I showed the ladies a picture of the puffball mushrooms I foraged and grilled upstate this past weekend, and they gave me a big bunch of chicken-of-the-woods mushrooms that had dried out too much to sell, so I could make stock. They are selling foraged puffballs for $25/pint. This seems like a lot for puffballs.

4 oz packages of Hudson Valley Steelhead Trout Lox were two-for-one.

On 9/15/2020 at 9:49 AM, joethefoodie said:

But at least the natural food stores of the 2000's don't have the same smell as the "health-food" stores of the 1970's. With that aroma of curry-ish cooked-ish somethin-ish. 

You had to live in the Bay Area at that time.    That smell was everywhere, and it wasn't pot.   It was the food, the people, incense, general grunge.   But it was the food that was so criminal.    I was turned off whole wheat for decades.   How can well intentioned people create such good music and bad food?

On 9/15/2020 at 12:49 PM, joethefoodie said:

11 hours ago, voyager said:

You had to live in the Bay Area at that time.    That smell was everywhere, and it wasn't pot.   It was the food, the people, incense, general grunge.   But it was the food that was so criminal.    I was turned off whole wheat for decades.   How can well intentioned people create such good music and bad food?

'76-'78 - Santa Barbara.  '78- on - Bay Area.  Santa Barbara was where I got my first exposure to that "healthy" lifestyle. As well as blondes, quaalude doctors, nude beaches, arrests for "farming," college classrooms with views of the Pacific and Channel Islands, sprouts, free avocados...all stories for other days.

Columbia greenmarket this morning - went early and was pleasantly surprised by how reasonable the lines were. Haven't seen a line this short at Samascott at such an early hour ever. Among my many purchases were black-eyed peas from Lani's - it's a Syrian tradition to eat them at Rosh Hashanah. And golden raspberries. Glad I brought my bubbie cart as I had a lot of purchases (corn is heavy when you have a mile walk home!).

• Like 1