The farmers market thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll start the ball rolling with the fingerling potatoes I bought at Tompkins Square yesterday. I am very bad at remembering the names of stalls, but there are only half a dozen or so here (open Sund

They make Hooligan (full stop) which some might call stinky. And mean that as a compliment.

Well, we need a thread for the rest of the entire world outside NYC, so here ya go.   What did you get at your farmers market? What did you get in your CSA box? Either will do: post it here!

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

There are some ramps at Union Market now -- but from Godknowswhere.

Since I still have some Three-Cornered Leeks left (which, although I'll never say it out loud, are pretty much as good as ramps), I'll keep waiting till some truly local stuff shows up my Greenmarket (which, rampswise, is always a couple of weeks behind Union Square).

On 3/27/2021 at 9:58 PM, Sneakeater said:

Wait a minute, Josh.

It wasn't YOU who bought up all the shad roe, was it?

This is a bizarre and possibly inappropriate question, but:

Josh, at the GAP Greenmarket last Saturday, were you wearing a hoodie with a butterfly on the front?

If so, I was right behind you on line at the fishmonger.

(What with masks and all, it's hard to tell who anybody is.)

We have RAMPS!!!!! I've been shopping at the W. 97th street market for 25 years and this is the first time that I'm aware of that anyone has had them. Got them at Terhune.

11 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

This is a bizarre and possibly inappropriate question, but:

Josh, at the GAP Greenmarket last Saturday, were you wearing a hoodie with a butterfly on the front?

If so, I was right behind you on line at the fishmonger.

(What with masks and all, it's hard to tell who anybody is.)

Not me. Do say hi if it is; how will I know you? Below my waist, I'm always identifiable by multipocketed microfiber hiking pants. (They are not cargo pants, no matter what everyone else, usually everyone else, says.) Above the waist, look for my big black canvas tactical-looking backpack, which has grommets in its bottom to help drain the several pounds of roe I have bought ahead of you.

14 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

I find the ramps/dog treats proffer interesting.

Do they have dog treats? I thought that was just the ostrich guys and the pork guys. Lucky Dog has a lot of potatoes.