The farmers market thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll start the ball rolling with the fingerling potatoes I bought at Tompkins Square yesterday. I am very bad at remembering the names of stalls, but there are only half a dozen or so here (open Sund

They make Hooligan (full stop) which some might call stinky. And mean that as a compliment.

Well, we need a thread for the rest of the entire world outside NYC, so here ya go.   What did you get at your farmers market? What did you get in your CSA box? Either will do: post it here!

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, voyager said:

Animals are allowed in NY farmer's markets?   

It makes standing on line so much better when you get see cuties like these.

IMG_2500.JPG

36 minutes ago, voyager said:

Just asked because SF and other CA health departments forbid animals in places that sell food.     And yes, dogs are much less annoying than many shoppers.

In a bit of supreme ny logic, the health department doesn't allow dogs, but the department of markets and ag. does (not the least because deli cats are much nicer than deli rats) 

• Like 1

All the greenmarkets here are outdoors on the street so it would be hard to prevent random walkers from strolling with their pups through the market.

1 hour ago, bloviatrix said:

All the greenmarkets here are outdoors on the street so it would be hard to prevent random walkers from strolling with their pups through the market.

Strolling through is not a problem. Lingering over the produce while your dog wraps his or her leash around my legs is a problem. So is stopping and texting while your dog wanders hither and yon with his or her leash functioning as a trip wire.

And yes, I realize it's not the dog, it's the owner, but I've never seen a dog shopping alone - maybe that would be fine.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, bloviatrix said:

But SF's is outdoors and no dogs.

The situation at a crowded greenmarket is unfair to the animal.

1 hour ago, small h said:

Strolling through is not a problem. Lingering over the produce while your dog wraps his or her leash around my legs is a problem. So is stopping and texting while your dog wanders hither and yon with his or her leash functioning as a trip wire.

And yes, I realize it's not the dog, it's the owner, but I've never seen a dog shopping alone - maybe that would be fine.

The real problem is the asshole who decides to stop in the middle of a crowded byway because they have to check their phone.