The farmers market thread

38 minutes ago, joethefoodie said:

But SF's is outdoors and no dogs.

The situation at a crowded greenmarket is unfair to the animal.

There are nominal barriers at the entrances and surrounds of our farmer's markets,     No animals by order of the health department.    Sure you can wander in with your dog, but you will get stink-eye feed back if not rebuke from authorities. 

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll start the ball rolling with the fingerling potatoes I bought at Tompkins Square yesterday. I am very bad at remembering the names of stalls, but there are only half a dozen or so here (open Sund

They make Hooligan (full stop) which some might call stinky. And mean that as a compliment.

Well, we need a thread for the rest of the entire world outside NYC, so here ya go.   What did you get at your farmers market? What did you get in your CSA box? Either will do: post it here!

Posted Images

2 hours ago, voyager said:

There are nominal barriers at the entrances and surrounds of our farmer's markets,     No animals by order of the health department.    Sure you can wander in with your dog, but you will get stink-eye feed back if not rebuke from authorities. 

I can't comment on every NYC market, but I've been to many throughout Manhattan and there no barriers whatsoever. Someare in plazas but many are on the sidewalk so that shoppers are interspersed with regular foot traffic. And even the plaza-like ones (Union Square) have a lot of pedestrians walking through to get somewhere else.

10 minutes ago, bloviatrix said:

I can't comment on every NYC market, but I've been to many throughout Manhattan and there no barriers whatsoever. Someare in plazas but many are on the sidewalk so that shoppers are interspersed with regular foot traffic. And even the plaza-like ones (Union Square) have a lot of pedestrians walking through to get somewhere else.

I'm totally cool with that.    Dogs, yes.   Strollers, no.   Dogs in strollers, retch.  

Interestingly, they put up barriers and manned gateways, at least at USQ and GAP, during the height of Lockdown last year.  But they removed them in late Fall.  They seemed inimical to the Greenmarket experience.

3 hours ago, bloviatrix said:

The real problem is the asshole who decides to stop in the middle of a crowded byway because they have to check their phone.

No argument here.

4 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

I think I might have been too early.  I stuck around for a while to give them a chance to show up.  But bed was calling.  Loud.

We call that pushing rope.

Having to go to Union Market to get some of their ramps at least caused me to see that they've finally gotten in some morels.  So, as my mother would have said, it wasn't a total loss.

Early morning visit to W. 97th street - spring is here. Ramps!! Asparagus!! Rubarb!! Lilacs!! (and some young broccoli rabe and apple cider for cocktails)

The ramplessness of GAP is disturbing.

There was a spot where Mountain Sweet Berry Farm could fit.  Maybe I'll go back later to see if they've taken to arriving late.