The farmers market thread

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll start the ball rolling with the fingerling potatoes I bought at Tompkins Square yesterday. I am very bad at remembering the names of stalls, but there are only half a dozen or so here (open Sund

They make Hooligan (full stop) which some might call stinky. And mean that as a compliment.

Well, we need a thread for the rest of the entire world outside NYC, so here ya go.   What did you get at your farmers market? What did you get in your CSA box? Either will do: post it here!

Posted Images

I imagine this weeks' strawberries (if there are any) will be nice and waterlogged. 

I don't mind driving, I don't mind driving in the rain, but man it was pouring yesterday.

On 5/31/2021 at 6:42 AM, joethefoodie said:

I imagine this weeks' strawberries (if there are any) will be nice and waterlogged.

They looked so good, though.

Although I can already attest that they don't taste like much.

• Like 1

I’m having the rest of the quart I bought with sour cream and a little sugar. I was gonna make ice cream or something else, but didn’t feel they were strawberry-y enough.

1 hour ago, joethefoodie said:

I’m having the rest of the quart I bought with sour cream and a little sugar. I was gonna make ice cream or something else, but didn’t feel they were strawberry-y enough.

With strawberries or stone fruit that is not quite "enough". try using light brown sugar.    Really enhances fruit flavor.    A regular at our house is large plate, pile of sour cream or creme fraiche in middle, border of brown sugar and fruit slices or hulled berries surrounding.    Pick and dip.

I had the most delicious fresh strawberries, from Hauser Hill Farms in NJ, with a strawberry bruschetta over fresh ricotta. It was an appetizer special at Drew’s Bayshore Bistro in Keyport, NJ.

831ED7BA-0F44-4019-AFB0-5C4540D7C6C9.jpeg

DC2FC7E6-A172-4075-AC85-0CCBA3C4368C.jpeg

Stellar strawberries from Samascott at Tompkins Square today. Also learned that Smallhold gives you a free pint of shiitakes if you spend $11, and now I have way too many mushrooms (blue oysters and lion's mane, also). Asparagus is still plentiful, but I'm asparagus'd out, so I got some favas and summer squash and small turnips.

• 2 weeks later...