The farmers market thread

N went down to the Sunday market in Fremont to pick up some items for the BBQ, and spotted a stand that was a single young woman selling only corn.  Apparently, she grows this corn in her backyard and sells what she can pick that day.  It was sublime.  I accidently took a bite of an ear before N put the corn on the grill, and it was so sweet I could have eaten it raw.

You don't see stands like that in the NYC farmer's markets. 😉

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll start the ball rolling with the fingerling potatoes I bought at Tompkins Square yesterday. I am very bad at remembering the names of stalls, but there are only half a dozen or so here (open Sund

They make Hooligan (full stop) which some might call stinky. And mean that as a compliment.

Nice to see you here, Paul.

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

This is the period where what I buy is limited only by the sizes of my refrigerator, my savings account, and my meal plan.  Without those limitations, I would buy just about everything.

7 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

This is the period where what I buy is limited only by the sizes of my refrigerator, my savings account, and my meal plan.  Without those limitations, I would buy just about everything.

Preach!!!

I spent over $75 on Friday. And I buy only produce. No fish or meat.

Husband stopped at our favorite farm-stand on his way home from the country and arrived with two dozen EACH peaches, nectarines and plums.   Four each beefsteak tomatoes, giant red onions. ears of sweet corn.    Son came over to deliver well over 5 pounds of Thompson seedless grapes.   Larder stuffed.

5 hours ago, voyager said:

Husband stopped at our favorite farm-stand on his way home from the country and arrived with two dozen EACH peaches, nectarines and plums.   Four each beefsteak tomatoes, giant red onions. ears of sweet corn.    Son came over to deliver well over 5 pounds of Thompson seedless grapes.   Larder stuffed.

Care to share the name?  N and I are going up to Truckee this weekend, smoke conditions permitting.

Gladly.   Both east of Lodi on (off) Highway 12.

"Tomato Man" is on North Guild Road off Hiway 12 from Cherokee; turn at huge Archer Daniels plant.  About a mile ip the road on west side of street.   On map below, very close to St. Amant Winery icon.

Continuing east on Hiway 12, Stone fruit people are the Metlers.    On Hiway 12, on south side of the road, hand-drawn signs, a table and chairs under a huge tree.   Just east of Rous Lane.    Across the road from and just before you get to Berghold Winery.   Sometimes they're there; sometimes they're not depending on what they pick.

Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 2.49.36 PM.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/8/2021 at 11:38 AM, Josh Karpf said:

I had a horrible Moderna #2 night and day with chills, aches, sleeplessness, and little appetite. I must be related to my brother, who complained of the same when he got his shot a little earlier. But garlic butter should be a good neutraceutical.

Turns out it really had extra mojo 
image.thumb.png.fcc401d554b7d4e3fa2202439fa6a276.png

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I thought it was a big deal several weeks ago and I got my hands on local greengage plums. But today Terhune had Mirabelle plums. I don't think I've seen them here. If not for the holiday I would have bought a kilo and done something with them.

1 hour ago, small h said:

Terhune's peaches are amazing.

Haven't tried them. I bought mango peaches from Locust Grove which give off the most incredible perfume and have a wonderful flavor.