The farmers market thread

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll start the ball rolling with the fingerling potatoes I bought at Tompkins Square yesterday. I am very bad at remembering the names of stalls, but there are only half a dozen or so here (open Sund

They make Hooligan (full stop) which some might call stinky. And mean that as a compliment.

Well, we need a thread for the rest of the entire world outside NYC, so here ya go.   What did you get at your farmers market? What did you get in your CSA box? Either will do: post it here!

Posted Images

I bought a state fair prize-worthy cabbage, something called "vitamin greens" from Lani's Farm, pea shoots and mesclun from Two Guys from Woodbridge, Bosc pears from Caradonna, John Dory and monkfish from American Pride, and my usual Bulich mushrooms, Quattro eggs and Cato Corner cheese. Not a bad haul for early March.

• Like 1

It's the rare Sunday morning where I don't have to be anywhere until 2 pm which means I could walk to my choice of 2 markets. But the weather is shitty so I'm staying in.

• 1 month later...

that’s odd for mid-april

we haven’t been to the market in a couple of weeks because lazy. plus it was raining on saturday and when that happens, hubby prefers indoors like andronico’s. 

When Saturday doesn't work for you, try sweet little Clement Street FM on Sunday mornings, many of the aame FB and Marin vendors, no attitude, pleasant 4 block street saunter.  

I could have sworn I've bought ramps from Lani's but when I asked the guy at USGM about them yesterday he said they never have them. Trying to decide whether to venture back down there tomorrow. I would really love to make a super seasonal matzoh brie with ramps and asparagus (using schmaltz as the fat)

On 4/20/2022 at 4:01 AM, bloviatrix said:

I could have sworn I've bought ramps from Lani's but when I asked the guy at USGM about them yesterday he said they never have them.

They definitely have ramps later in the season (bulb-less)

Went to our sweet little Clement Street FM this morning.   No ramps, but a half dozen different strawberries, artichokes and several cherries to choose from.    My take away, this lovely little brie that oozes when warm, not dis-similar to Red Hawk when it has a little age.    Will serve to French visitors at lunch this week when I rub their noses in California products.    This is amazingly priced at $11 usually, but occasionally on sale, like today, at 2/$12.    Bought 2, of course.

377934436_ScreenShot2022-04-24at11_21_55AM.png.43b4cae8f75e4226082c77ec54ad1e9c.png