The farmers market thread

spring onions, plums, nectarines, apricots, arugula, arrowhead cabbage (cabbage shaped like arrows), summer squash, zucchini, garlic, basil, rosemary

unfortunately tomatoes are at least 6 weeks away….frown 

A8B60A46-A876-4893-9575-7C1A0BCB2DE8.jpeg

CB587486-32A0-491F-B859-73170B970782.jpeg

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll start the ball rolling with the fingerling potatoes I bought at Tompkins Square yesterday. I am very bad at remembering the names of stalls, but there are only half a dozen or so here (open Sund

They make Hooligan (full stop) which some might call stinky. And mean that as a compliment.

Well, we need a thread for the rest of the entire world outside NYC, so here ya go.   What did you get at your farmers market? What did you get in your CSA box? Either will do: post it here!

Posted Images

Yellow cherries, two types of peaches, yellow nectarines, and Santa Rosa plums.  N is going to make a grilled peach salad for Monday's braai (peaches will be grilled onsite), so I got her more than she needed so she can pick and choose.

• 3 weeks later...

Took Highway 4 out of Antioch en route to country, stopping at the Farmer's Daughter in Brentwood for Blenheim apricots.   No longer in lug boxes but little clam boxes at $4.    Look terribly green for will be prime in 12 hours.    Also, hours old yellow corn, 3/$2.    

588881993_ScreenShot2022-06-16at6_38_33PM.png.48a244171c7993c6d5dee8ff2c92d7cc.pngFamous for "you pick" but we buy house picked.   

2020498203_ScreenShot2022-06-16at6_38_50PM.thumb.png.37fd8cd96b7ddfedd4b4ef7b0006935d.png

Like small h, the last thing I need at this point in my life is to fall our of a tree.

• Like 1

We're reached peak Greenmarket. Came home with 3 kinds of berries - straw, rasp, and blue. Sweet cherries! Green beans! Shelling peas! A massive basil "plant" and more. I'm very happy.

• Like 1

seen today at the market - jars of $20 schmaltz

we bought:

green beans, cherry tomatoes, apricots, strawberries, lemons, upland cress, zucchini, carrots, onions, jarred tomatoes, mushrooms and basil.

A67F5F56-07A3-4408-BDC5-A2248BBEBE91.jpeg

1 hour ago, joethefoodie said:

I generally find farmer’s should stick to doing what they do best (farm?) and leave the food prep part to others.

Totally agree.   Some of the most expensive mistakes I have bought have been jarred stuffs from our farmer's markets.    Some of the salsas in glass are truly evil.    A crap shoot in any event.

On 6/18/2022 at 3:01 PM, Diancecht said:

seen today at the market - jars of $20 schmaltz

we bought:

green beans, cherry tomatoes, apricots, strawberries, lemons, upland cress, zucchini, carrots, onions, jarred tomatoes, mushrooms and basil.

A67F5F56-07A3-4408-BDC5-A2248BBEBE91.jpeg

How much was the schmaltz at Sammy’s?

10 minutes ago, Wilfrid said:

How much was the schmaltz at Sammy’s?

I don't see it on the menu by itself, but mashed potatoes & schmaltz was $8.

6 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

I like Abra's pickled quail eggs -- but I only dared try them on the recommendation of someone with impeccable taste.

I buy quail eggs for roughly 10/$3.00.   FMs charge around $10/jar of 10 pickled.    Ever thought of pickling your own?    Nor rocket science.   No, I've never done it, but I prefer them as an apero snack, cracked peeled and dipped in good salt.   You kinda need an outdoor venue, deck, etc.      Or in your living room or kitchen if you don't care.