The farmers market thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll start the ball rolling with the fingerling potatoes I bought at Tompkins Square yesterday. I am very bad at remembering the names of stalls, but there are only half a dozen or so here (open Sund

They make Hooligan (full stop) which some might call stinky. And mean that as a compliment.

Nice to see you here, Paul.

Posted Images

I love 8-ball squash. They have a very short season (two weeks) that coincides with July 4th weekend so I only make them once a year. So I was disappointed on Friday when Kernan - who is typically the only purveyor who grows them - didn't have them. This morning I went to the Ft. Washington/168th street market before heading into the office and I found them at Nolasco. I know what we're having this week!

the last time i used schmaltz was for a batch of matzoh balls. those were pretty good to my - admittedly - inexperienced matzoh-ball making skills. hubby shudders when i mention schmaltz to him, he prefers ingredients with less cholesterol but fat carries flavor and life is short.

this past weekend we bought: cherry tomatoes, granex onions (high sugar content, caramelizes quickly), hardneck garlic, plums, apricots, zucchini, piracicaba broccoli, herbs (mint, rosemary, basil), new potatoes, carrots and mushrooms 

it looks like the blueberry vendor sold their last batch a week ago. darn.

I went a little crazy this morning with soft fruit - sour cherries, gooseberries, sugar plums, strawberries, and apricots (which will be turned into jam). Also corn, basil, cherry tomatoes, beans, red leaf lettuce, radicchio, fingerlings. I'm pretty sure there's more in the bag.

• Like 1
  • Clement Street Sunday Market ->  yellow Elberta peaches; green gage plums; Blenheim apricots; russet pluots; baby radishes; green heirloom tomatoes; maitaki mushrooms; SQUASH  BLOSSOMS, the reason I went.  

Dinner tonight will be tempura squash blossoms stuffed with oaxacan cheese, fried green tomatoes/yogurt sauce, radishes braised in butter.    Tomorrow, pappardelle with maitaki and green garlic.

27 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

The current GAP fishmonger won't cut pieces.  Which essentially means that if you're buying for one person you're SOL.

Fuck them.

How about one small-medium fish -> 1/2 = dinner night one -> other half repurposed another night?   With a sauce?   Lemon/olive oil?    Risotto?

33 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

The current GAP fishmonger won't cut pieces.

Would you consider freezing the part you don't eat? This is what I do. But maybe you're more discerning.

besides the usual suspects, we saw cranberry beans and ginormous radishes with radish greens.

we bought: heirloom tomatoes, early girl tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, herbs, peaches, plums, blackberries, melon, zucchini, onions, cranberry beans, romano beans and hardneck garlic.

691C2D8B-F051-4D22-ABBD-681C6ACD7C57.jpeg

BDC9B8C1-851B-43D2-9C12-BCA6FD9AB053.jpeg