The farmers market thread

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll start the ball rolling with the fingerling potatoes I bought at Tompkins Square yesterday. I am very bad at remembering the names of stalls, but there are only half a dozen or so here (open Sund

They make Hooligan (full stop) which some might call stinky. And mean that as a compliment.

Nice to see you here, Paul.

Posted Images

Tattoo Sneak's suggestions on your arm, stopping short of Refritos, which IMHO are a waste of scarfable leftovers,    Our last fix was a braise with shallot, garlic, fresh thym in olive oil,    Husband swooned.   No leftovers. 

These are as close to Brittany's Cocos de Pampol as i have come.     Once a year and revel.   

these two signs re caviar were next to someone selling gourmet hummus. there was a time when i might have been impressed…not anymore. i guess i grew up. 🧐

today: peppers, zucchini, green beans, onions, celery, carrot, tomatoes, white eggplant, basil, peaches, plums, chard, escarole

a vendor known for citrus and dates had guavas and pomegranates on sale. he gave us a pomegranate for free, so we could provide him with “feedback”.

8AABA5F2-4187-40C5-8D63-D4D31115EAA6.jpeg

46BB94F1-7287-46D1-ABAC-95D99CC66ED2.jpeg

36C9DB68-892A-4946-93D0-C85A0BD235C9.jpeg

On 7/29/2022 at 7:15 PM, small h said:

What do you do with cranberry beans?

I'm first surprised when one of them turns out to feature unusual pigmentation, then again that after cooking them (in fish stock this time, with added clam juice) that the pigmentation washes away, then I make breadcrumbs from sourdough and fry them with garlic as a topping, some fresh herbs, and the clams who used to own the juice.

Or you can just cook them in water and eat with some salt. Blandly delicious.

It’s their texture as well as flavor.    Closer to flageolets than fresh limas or dried beans.    As I wrote, very close to cocos de Pampol.   

usually simmer them in water with garlic, herbs and a glug of olive oil

beans are done in 30 minutes 

the bean broth makes for a nice vegetable stock 

as for what to use them for, i typically have them in salads or as a contorno. sometimes will cook them in olive oil with garlic and rosemary.

DA7E5ABB-D95A-4153-AE4F-5C2CAEA84863.jpeg

6AB9E492-96C5-43A5-8DDC-789D3EE6682E.jpeg

we had some leftover pickled vegetables (artichoke hearts, pickled onions, pickled mushrooms, olives) and some leftover slow roasted cherry tomatoes that had to be eaten so that was an easy decision