The farmers market thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll start the ball rolling with the fingerling potatoes I bought at Tompkins Square yesterday. I am very bad at remembering the names of stalls, but there are only half a dozen or so here (open Sund

They make Hooligan (full stop) which some might call stinky. And mean that as a compliment.

Nice to see you here, Paul.

Posted Images

i usually just stick to buying herbs at Paffenroth since they have the biggest and cheapest bunches. thanks for the heads up on the disappointing veggies, though. i usually get my veg from hawthorne, keith's, or mountain sweet berry. I find all three have consistently flavorful stuff.

Guest Suzanne F

WTC market seems to be shrinking. :( Today only three stands; fortunately one was Migliorelli, another Conklin. But I may have to trek uptown Saturday. :( (That could be either to Greenwich Street or all the way to Union Square.)

Has anyone else had a disappointing experience with Paffenroth this season? First I got garlic that had gone bad, then yesterday I purchased utterly tasteless carrots.

Steph, the carrots I bought from Mrs. P. last Saturday were delicious. Maybe it was just the (bad) luck of the draw?

After last week's haul, I brought my bubbie cart with me the market this morning. I'm probably forgetting something, but I bought:

patty pan squash, potatoes, mint - Bradley

eggplants, green and yellow beans, peaches, tomatoes, green peppers - Kernan

sugar plums, gooseberries - Locust Grove

green garlic, red leaf lettuce, zukes, basil, shallots - Bialas

muskmelon - Visconti

Queen Ann cherries - Red Jacket Orchard

sesame pugliese, raisin-walnut rolls, onion caraway rolls - Tribeca

The first eggplants make me very excited. I love eggplant.

Made a very quick pit-stop at the USQ greenmarket this afternoon on my way to a meeting. Lots of corn everywhere, and i picked up 5 ears/$2 at Sycamore, very sweet dark cherries at Cheerful Cherry, some bran muffins at Body and Soul bakery, and some field-ripened tomatoes from a stand which I can't remember the name. Apparently the field grown heirlooms and other tomatoes will be out in full force tomorrow.

A very sticky humid morning at the USQ Greenmarket, but lovely in the bounty of corn, tomatoes, berries, and stonefruit out in abundance.

Picked up the following:

-Apricots from Terhune

-Rocambole garlic from Keith's

-Striped eggplant, okra, and sugar plums from Cherry Lane

-Tiny, thimble-sized gold nugget potates, favas, and zucchini blossoms from Mountain Sweet Berry

-Very fragrant peaches, cubanelle peppers, and bicolor corn from Blew Family

-Flat beans from Migliorelli

-Raspberries from Fantasy Fruit

-Sweet black and sour red cherries from Cheerful Cherry

-Tzatziki (a new product) and plain drinkable yogurt from Ronnybrook

-Ricotta and fresh mozzarella from Tonjes