The farmers market thread

A wet and rainy morning at the greenmarket. Thankfully, Monday's usual suspects were there. Strawberries, greens, and spring onions from Yuno's Farm. Chicken and hotdogs from Dines. Have I mentioned how much I like their hotdogs?

My tarragon plant is doing very well indoors, so tomorrow night's chicken will feature plenty of it.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll start the ball rolling with the fingerling potatoes I bought at Tompkins Square yesterday. I am very bad at remembering the names of stalls, but there are only half a dozen or so here (open Sund

They make Hooligan (full stop) which some might call stinky. And mean that as a compliment.

Nice to see you here, Paul.

Posted Images

Quatto has a very good black bean and smoked pheasant sausage soup. There was also shreds of some kind of meat (pork maybe?). It needs a little bit of seasoning adjustment and of course benefits from sour cream and or grated cheese. $4 a pint.

This morning from the USQ greenmarket:

Sugar snap peas and strawberries from Kernan

Spring onions and spinach from S&SO

Curry flavored sauerkraut from Hawthorne

Fiddleheads are abundant, and available at three to four stands at the market today!

How are the strawberries from Kernan? I picked up some asparagus there and sampled the sugar snaps, which were nice.

Berried Treasures was loaded--potatoes, ramps, mint, watercress, chamomile, arugula, spinach. Favas in the next couple of weeks. Same with berries.

Also picked up some flounder from Blue Moon.

Due to all the rain, no morels this week... hopefully some next Wed.

Strawberries from Kernan looked and smelled good, but unfortunately turned out to be quite sour and firm. I think that this batch will be turned into some sort of dessert. Will have to wait for the tristar strawberries from either Berried Treasures or Mountain Sweet Berry.

I did get some decent strawberries from a small booth yesterday (unnamed, from NJ, only selling tomatoes and strawberries), at a much cheaper price than Kernan.

Was this the place across from Berried Treasures? Curious because the woman who runs Berried Treasures actually recommended them (at least until her Tristars are available). I tried one... not bad, but I prefer Yuno's at the moment.

Was this the place across from Berried Treasures? Curious because the woman who runs Berried Treasures actually recommended them (at least until her Tristars are available). I tried one... not bad, but I prefer Yuno's at the moment.

I think that's the one.

W. 97th street is starting to get a more of their farmers back. Picked up spearmint from Bradley farms, my first rhubarb of the season from Bialas and strawberries from Visconti. The perfume of the strawberries was so seductive - I couldn't resist.

Oh, and the guy who sells wild boar at the market also had morels. For $100 a pound. :lol: He tried to ease the sting by advertising 1/2 lb for $49.99.

Violet Hill also took the same tactic with their morels, which were advertised as $25 for 1/4 pound! They were huge and gorgeous light tan-colored specimens, but ouch!