The farmers market thread

Those potatoes were at Cherry Lane. I couldn't resist. Other purchases -- strawberries from Kernan, sugar snap peas, monkfish, bacon, salad stuff from Hawthorne, Hooligan from Cato Corners.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll start the ball rolling with the fingerling potatoes I bought at Tompkins Square yesterday. I am very bad at remembering the names of stalls, but there are only half a dozen or so here (open Sund

They make Hooligan (full stop) which some might call stinky. And mean that as a compliment.

Nice to see you here, Paul.

Posted Images

Asparagus from Cherry Lane. Very tempted by the potatoes, but I'll wait. They consistently have some of the best fresh-dug tubers in the market, esp. their sweet potatoes. Flounder and delicious smoked eel from Blue Moon. Tiny arugula, beets, radishes from Migliorelli. And young garlic, with gratis prep lesson, from S., S. & Co.(?...west side, just short of the dog run). And a "Shepherd's Cushion" from the cheesemakers on the north side, where Doxsee clams usually is on Saturdays, and I always forget their name. Ahhhh, spring!

There were no strawberries at Union Square yesterday. (At least, not at 3:00.) Pissed me off. I got some rhubarb and asparagus. I expect there'll be strawberries this a.m. at Brooklyn GAP, but I'm afraid that given the recent heavy rains we've seen the best of the seasaon already.

Wild boar belly! Any fans of Flying Pigs ought to give the boar stand a try. I think it's the best meat at the market, hands down. Also a boar chop. Some smoked ham from Flying Pigs. Arugula and tiny La Ratte potatoes from Mountain Sweet. A new thyme plant from Blew. It was a pretty happenin' scene considering the weather.

Boar guy (I really need to remember his name) also had a gorgeous skin-on loin that would be perfect for a dinner party.

Oh, and the super fluffy dog who hangs out at the goat stand--Patches of Star or something--got a complete shave for the summer. Seems much more active minus that 50 pounds of hair.

Yuno's Avocado Squash are a weekly purchase in our household in season. We love it for its unique nutty, sweet taste and unctuous texture. It also caramelizes beautifully in a hot pan.

We like to sautee them in olive oil with a little bit of fresh mint, basil and garlic. Sometimes if we're feel like it we add in a diced habanero to the pan.

I'm told it also works well raw in salads but we haven't tried that yet.

From USQ this morning:

-New yukon gold and red bliss potatoes, asparagus, and zucchini from Cherry Lane

-Strawberries from Sycamore

-Breast of lamb and ribs from Catskill Merino

-Buttermilk from Tonjes

-Thai basil and chocolate mint plants from Blew

TEN pounds of fava beans for $10: I'm taking them to a dinner party and putting everybody to work. Also: two bags of pea shoots, two bunches of asparagus, some freshly made red pepper pasta shells, and an orange bell pepper plant.

What did I get today? Soaking wet and chilled to the bone. But even so, I managed acceptable sales for a day when few beyond the vendors themselves bothered to be on site.

Not. A. Thing.

:(

...am off to Paris and San Sebastian Monday, then will come home by way of Aspen....

oh, right, some rancho person gave me a couple bag o' beans to bring to Alain Passard for his garden. :(

I think we've had too much rain. I bought asparagus and strawberries at today's Brooklyn GAP market and I thought both tasted too much like water. Got some nice greens though.

Wild boar belly! Any fans of Flying Pigs ought to give the boar stand a try. I think it's the best meat at the market, hands down. Also a boar chop. Some smoked ham from Flying Pigs. Arugula and tiny La Ratte potatoes from Mountain Sweet. A new thyme plant from Blew. It was a pretty happenin' scene considering the weather.

Boar guy (I really need to remember his name) also had a gorgeous skin-on loin that would be perfect for a dinner party.

This boar guy is not Violet Hill and is he only there on Saturday?