The farmers market thread

I made it to Union Square on Wednesday and was dismayed to find no sour cherries. I got blueberries from Kernan instead (I thought they were the best available for jam-- they had a little tinge of tartness). And I got some little potatoes, purple carrots, and great sweet cherries.

I haven't tasted my final blueberry jam. It tasted amazing along the way, but I'm afraid I reduced it too far. Getting the setting point right is troublesome for me.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll start the ball rolling with the fingerling potatoes I bought at Tompkins Square yesterday. I am very bad at remembering the names of stalls, but there are only half a dozen or so here (open Sund

They make Hooligan (full stop) which some might call stinky. And mean that as a compliment.

Nice to see you here, Paul.

Posted Images

Yuno has several types of peppers, including Shisitos! That's all I picked up. Berries were pretty waterlogged this week.

The City Hall Park market wasn't bad... only three vendors, including one selling baked goods. And another selling underripe produce. But the third had a wide array of berries, some tomatoes, and a few other items. Promising.

Today I controlled myself (still have a fridge full of greens from a trip on Wednesday). Got kim chee tofu; sorrel (making a puree tonight to serve poached duck eggs on), chives, parsley, thyme and garlic all from Keith's, favas from Eckerton and lamb chops from Violet Hill (these had better be good because eight chops were, holy smokes, $50). Tomorrow I'll be grilling the chops (in my apartment on my stove-top grill, alas) and serving them with favas.

And I felt like I was at a cocktail party. :blush: Ran into Abby, Steven Dilley and SCS, and Marco Canora.

A two-market Saturday! At Union Sq: a boned leg of mutton from 3 Corner Field, Walla Walla onions from Eckerton, wild arugula (Rick Bishop), Yukon Golds (Cherry Lane), mozzarella (Tonjes), tomatoes (Stokes, where I ran into Marco Canora :blush:, who showed me baby pix), pesto from Tweefontein, wheatgrass from Stuart.

At Lincoln Square: pimentos de padron, heirloom tomatoes, spring onions and baby head lettuces from Yuno's, turkey sausage from Paola Farms.

Daisy, I'd be very interested to hear more about the sorrel puree. I've been tempted to do salmon with a sorrel sauce but haven't yet.

Not a bad day... huge bush basil plant at Stokes for $5. Some pheasant sausage and smoked chicken from Quattro. Potatoes from Eckerton. Sugarsnaps and arugula from Windfall. Oh, and some liverwurst from Flying Pigs! Made from liver and jowl and quite tasty.

My personal shopper delivered the cutest little squat carrots from Paffenroth; soap, feta and lamb steak from 3 Corner Field; buttermilk from Tonjes; Cato cheeses; raspberries and blueberries; and some of that marvelous chocolate-cherry bread.

Oh, and some liverwurst from Flying Pigs! Made from liver and jowl and quite tasty.

The Flying Pigs stand at GAP was offering samples of the liverwurst. Mild and, indeed, tasty. We picked up some herb sausages from them to go with the lacinato kale from Maxwell's. Bill Maxwell experimented with artichokes this year and was giving away the few that grew. He also had the sweetest shelling peas I've had this year.

We bought black raspberries from the gentleman whose name I don't recall but last year his peaches were the best (he's at USM on Fridays, I think). He was suspicious of the peaches that various vendors were selling. He expects his will be ready in about three weeks.

Also a boule from Bread Alone, scallops from Blue Moon, the biggest head of red oak lettuce I've ever seen (don't recall the source), and a decent tomato from Phillips.

Daisy, I'd be very interested to hear more about the sorrel puree. I've been tempted to do salmon with a sorrel sauce but haven't yet.

Sorrel puree is a snap since the sorrel purees itself. Like spinach it cooks way down so use a lot. Chiffonade, then let cook down in some melted butter. Add the tiniest bit of salt and pepper.

And I'd be very interested to hear about the salmon--are you going to do it a la Troisgros?

Wasn't sure where to stick this. Anyway, Rancho and his big fat carnitas in the Times!

In Mexico and California, verdolaga is eaten with pork and tomatillos; at the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market in San Francisco, Steve Sando, owner of Rancho Gordo New World Specialty Food in Napa, tucks a few whole stems into his big fat carnitas and tomatillo tamal.

Wasn't sure where to stick this. Anyway, Rancho and his big fat carnitas in the Times!

In Mexico and California, verdolaga is eaten with pork and tomatillos; at the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market in San Francisco, Steve Sando, owner of Rancho Gordo New World Specialty Food in Napa, tucks a few whole stems into his big fat carnitas and tomatillo tamal.

Thank you, but my carnitas are normal to large. It's my tamal that is soooooooo big and fat! At least that what they tell me.

Pretty cool though, isn't it? I was told I was in but that an editor's axe may go for me. But it didn't. I'm guessing it will help my Google placement.

If any of youse guys in New York have the desire to send a clipping, I'd appreciate it:

(Rancho Gordo, 1755 Industrial Way #26, Napa CA 94558)