The farmers market thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll start the ball rolling with the fingerling potatoes I bought at Tompkins Square yesterday. I am very bad at remembering the names of stalls, but there are only half a dozen or so here (open Sund

They make Hooligan (full stop) which some might call stinky. And mean that as a compliment.

Nice to see you here, Paul.

Posted Images

I got some Italian heirlooms at the stand that sells only tiny potatoes, shallots and heirloom tomatoes near the newsstand. I have never tasted a sweeter, more meaty and flavorful tomoato in my entire life. They were small, "pleated" and beautiful.

I must go back and get more as soon as possible.

Score!

I got a nice big package of pork jowl.

And tons of other stuff. Big bag of romano beans - am planning to make Marco's recipe (which was just in NY Mag on p. 61 - Sept 18 issue)

But a gripe:

Several (4 or 5) farmers are completely not set up and ready by 8:30. Annoying. For example, beef guy told me he had to go to the plant to pick up his offal, and wouldn't be back for at least 2 hours. Stokes, Three Corner Fields, Tamarack ("can you come back in a half hour or so?")...all not ready.

I realize that. I was just mentioning my drive because the FDR and 2nd Ave. were both moving completely fine at 7:40 - 7:50am. No gridlock on the east side. But the deal is that the market opens in the morning. And I would think that farmers need to be there and ready when it opens. That's what they've agreed to. People go to the market on their way to work, and they don't need to be told "come back in a half hour" or "stuff won't be here for 2 more hours" or anything like that.

edit to add: Most farmers were ready when I got there. So somehow they managed to get there on time. And some of these had huge setups, which were all ready.

Sadly, most farmers have to travel a bit farther than from the Upper East Side.

:blink: :lol: :lol:

I'm assuming the market opens at 8am?

I get up at 4:30 am to leave by 5:50 or 5:45am to arrive in the city by 6:40am where I have to dump all my goods, then go park my van and come back and set up. Plus coffee and a bagel from Peet's. It takes me a full hour to set up. It's brutal and I really don't enjoy helping folks before 8am. I'm not ready for them mentally or set up to sell but there are certain ones that think we like the "early birds". The flip side is come 2pm and it's time to leave, late comers want just as much attention but now they want a "deal" on top of it. I' still need to break things down, go get my van, now in afternoon traffic, load it up and drive through Chinatown and North Beach to get to the bridge along with a lot of confused tourists. I drive home, often fighting sleep, go to the warehouse to unload and often I don't get home till 5 or 6.

But knock wood, I've never been late to a market.

I don't know why I'm telling you all this. It just came out. Love your farmer. Love your vendors.

Love the farmers. Love the market.

But that doesn't mean they shouldn't get there on time and be ready when the market opens.

This morning, some folks were not ready at 8:30 and at 8:45. For people who have to get to the market and then get to work, that's a bummer.

Most folks were completely ready at 8, when I started shopping.

Sadly, most farmers have to travel a bit farther than from the Upper East Side.

:blink: :lol: :lol:

I'm assuming the market opens at 8am?

I get up at 4:30 am to leave by 5:50 or 5:45am to arrive in the city by 6:40am where I have to dump all my goods, then go park my van and come back and set up. Plus coffee and a bagel from Peet's. It takes me a full hour to set up. It's brutal and I really don't enjoy helping folks before 8am. I'm not ready for them mentally or set up to sell but there are certain ones that think we like the "early birds". The flip side is come 2pm and it's time to leave, late comers want just as much attention but now they want a "deal" on top of it. I' still need to break things down, go get my van, now in afternoon traffic, load it up and drive through Chinatown and North Beach to get to the bridge along with a lot of confused tourists. I drive home, often fighting sleep, go to the warehouse to unload and often I don't get home till 5 or 6.

But knock wood, I've never been late to a market.

I don't know why I'm telling you all this. It just came out. Love your farmer. Love your vendors.

4:30? Luxury. Many of these vendors leave at 2am to make it to market on time. But sometimes life/traffic/sick cows/whatever gets in the way and they're still late.

Would be interesting to note if it's the same ones who are consistently late. I don't go in the mornings enough to really know, but I have noticed this several times this year, with a few repeat latecomers.

I understand that they work hard, that they're not getting rich from the high prices they charge at the market, blah blah. But if they have agreed to be at the market when it opens, they should be. Of course sometimes shit happens, but my impression is that it happens too much down there.

4:30? Luxury. Many of these vendors leave at 2am to make it to market on time. But sometimes life/traffic/sick cows/whatever gets in the way and they're still late.

Hey lady. This is my moment for sympathy. Get off my cuffs! :blink:

Do they have to offload or do they keep their truckls with them?