It has been a difficult week up here in Canada, with the unavoidable media coverage of the horrible details of the Canadian Psycho hearing.

For those blessed with ignorance of this, Russell Williams, the former commander of our largest air force base, has now been sentenced to two life terms for murdering two women, one of whom was under his command. This is a guy who led an astonishing double life: he was a decorated hero, a man who flew planes carrying dignitaries such as the prime minister and the Queen, and he secretly had an underwear fetish that escalated to the point where he has now confessed to two murders, two sexual assaults, two forcible confinements and 82 break-and-enters.

The evidence presented at the hearing (he pleaded guilty so it was not a trial) was horrific but apparently needed to ensure the full record of his crimes is available for those who may have to consider a parole hearing 25-years hence. This guy coldly murdered and then went directly to meetings. During his confession showed more concern about a police search damaging the new home he and his wife moved into between the murders than he showed for the women he killed. He wrote unbelievable apology letters to the families of his victims that rubbed salt in their open wounds. He is losing his medals and his rank, but so far there is no law of the books that will prevent him getting his full pension.

I wish I believed in hell, so I knew he would be going there.

in this instance, i think we should all try really hard to believe in hell and wish him a speedy trip and a long stay there.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Last Tuesday morning, tens of thousands of public school students across New York took the Regents Examination in Global History and Geography. One of the two essays in the 3-hour exam required stu

If this is the whine about health things topic, here's my new (old) one.  I've had surgery for "trigger finger" on my right hand - first one was about 15 years ago, the "ring" or 4th, finger. Then, oh

I still don't see what point is being made. That there are some high school students who don't pay attention in class (if they even show up)?

Posted Images

• 3 months later...

I read this earlier today

Reporter sexually assaulted by mob in Egypt

CBS foreign correspondent Lara Logan suffered a "brutal" sexual assault at the hands of a mob in Egypt while covering the downfall of president Hosni Mubarak, the US network said this morning.

"She and her team and their security were surrounded by a dangerous element amidst the celebration. It was a mob of more than 200 people whipped into a frenzy," CBS said in a statement.

"In the crush of the mob, she was separated from her crew. She was surrounded and suffered a brutal and sustained sexual assault and beating before being saved by a group of women and an estimated 20 Egyptian soldiers."

I can't explain why this upset me so much. . . I'm not even sure I know why. Heather Mallick wrote

It was sexual torture taking place amid the greatest jubilation, a nightmare unfolding with the backdrop of thousands of distant people cheering.

I guess I thought those celebrating that evening would have felt an even stronger sense of community and a stronger sense of pride in their country and themselves. Why would some of them do something like this? And others must have seen what was happening, even amid the chaos, yet no one helped her until she had suffered a great deal. I know it was a comparatively small number of people who perpetrated this terrible act, yet I find it hard to feel joy for any of the people of Egypt. Instead, I feel shame for them.

Perhaps I'm over-reacting. I don't know. I just imagine the terror she must have felt, and how much she is still suffering now, and I just don't understand why it had to happen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, so this is what kept me up to 2 in the morning last night.. It was this show called the Fabulous Whites of Wes Virginia I believe.. It was a documentary following this large family from West Virginia.. Anyway, this is the first scene that I watched last night..

To set it up for you, the two people in the car are related.. The person sitting in the passenger seat just had a child and it was taken away from her because she has a pill addiction.. So, she went to the hospital to get her baby and she discovered the Child Protection Services now has the baby because it tested positive for drugs.. So, you think they are going to rush to go see the baby but, they are I guess hungry and stop for a bite to eat at Taco Bell...

Extra points if you can tell me the sex of the person driving the car..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5ZCfo9RzO8

Ok, so this is what kept me up to 2 in the morning last night.. It was this show called the Fabulous Whites of Wes Virginia I believe.. It was a documentary following this large family from West Virginia.. Anyway, this is the first scene that I watched last night..

Looks like a Southern reality version of Trailer Park Boys. I wish I hadn't clicked the link now...

A bit troubling for me, but I'm hoping soon it will belong in the "cheerful" thread. My son has spent the last month working in the Philippines. Scheduled to fly out from Manila at midnight last night (10AM today our time). His colleagues said he should get to the airport really early because it was likely to be rather chaotic, what with people trying to get to and from Japan and other affected areas. So he did. These days, with computers and international cell phones, we've been keeping up with him pretty closely. He said the airport was a madhouse, with flights that had been scheduled into Japan being diverted, and some leaving Manila for Japan having to return. His flight was delayed, but finally got off. Scheduled to land in Guam, which is supposed to be even worse with diverted and canceled flights and the possibility of a tsunami of their own.

I'll be one happy mama when he takes off from Guam for the final leg home.

It was a little disconcerting this morning to turn the radio on, get in the shower and then hear that we've been under a Tsunami warning since last night. And we still are. Just an advisory now, but it's still there.

Just horrifying to see the damage and destruction. My heart goes out to everyone affected by this.