• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Last Tuesday morning, tens of thousands of public school students across New York took the Regents Examination in Global History and Geography. One of the two essays in the 3-hour exam required stu

I still don't see what point is being made. That there are some high school students who don't pay attention in class (if they even show up)?

When your daughter calls you to ask how scared she should be. I told her Ronald Reagan had set up sophisticated defenses against a nuclear attack. That’s a thing, right?

Posted Images

It was a little disconcerting this morning to turn the radio on, get in the shower and then hear that we've been under a Tsunami warning since last night. And we still are. Just an advisory now, but it's still there.

Just horrifying to see the damage and destruction. My heart goes out to everyone affected by this.

The scenes with the water surging, and carrying along what must be hundreds of people, are particularly wrenching.

I've been checking out the Japan Meteorological Agency's earthquake update site (I've had it bookmarked ever since I lived in Japan). It looks like there were precursors as early as March 9th. And the number of afershocks since the earthquake has been staggering. I still haven't heard from several friends in affected areas, and I know I have a number of former students in universities in Sendai and Ibaraki, and also a friend in Hilo. I really hope they're all OK.

I don't know how to paste the info in as a table, but check out http://www.jma.go.jp/en/quake/quake_singendo_index.html to see how many aftershocks they've had in the last 24 hours. Brings back memories of the Hanshin Earthquake, but I'm encouraged to see that Japan has seemed to have learned from its mistakes in handling that one, and the authorities seem to be handling things much better this time.

This weekend we were supposed to be working with counterparts from Tokyo. Reportedly they're all alive and well but I'm not sure if that's not just an optimistic translation of "we don't know of any casualties in our bank, yet." as nobody's answering their phone or email. A good friend with family in Sendai finally managed to reach them today, apparently there's still no water or power in town, but their fifty year old house (eternity in Japanese terms) survived the flooding.

• 3 weeks later...

Sad: On Eve of Redefining Malcolm X, Biographer Dies

"The book is scheduled to be published on Monday, and Mr. Marable had been looking forward to leading a vigorous public discussion of his ideas. But on Friday Mr. Marable, 60, died in a hospital in New York as a result of medical problems he thought he had overcome."

• 4 weeks later...

The incredible damage to Tuscaloosa from the tornado. The photos and videos and stories my friends and people I deal with at the University have sent are just heartbreaking. The good news is that all of them are alive. Only one serious injury. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for many others. The devastation is just unreal.

The picture of gene stallings done up in bama gear cooking up burgers for emergency workers with a background of just devastation behind him is poignant in ways I don't think anyone intended

I didn't see that photo. He (and other Bama celebs) were in town for our AD's annual charity golf tournament. Most stayed in town to do what they could for the relief effort.