Survived much longer than many anticipated. I drifted away for the usual reason: most of the people I knew there had moved on for one reason or another.  But certainly have some remarkable memories.  It was not, thank god, Mars Bar, but it was a very quirky place indeed.

Depressing because I worry for the future...

The other day I was at the supermarket, and they was a young girl, ~12 years old. She could have been as old as maybe 14 as she was quite tall, but she also could have been as young as 10. Her mother had asked her to get some white bread. She was standing in front of the bread section calling out to her mother, "But I don't know what white bread looks like!"

🙄🙄🙄

What are parents teaching their children these days? I feel like a curmudgeonly old lady, thinking, "When I was 5, I'd walk to the store to buy white bread AND milk!"

When I was 5, I'd walk to the store to buy white bread AND milk.

And you'd take a dollar and bring back change...

The other day I was at the supermarket, and they was a young girl, ~12 years old. She could have been as old as maybe 14 as she was quite tall, but she also could have been as young as 10. Her mother had asked her to get some white bread. She was standing in front of the bread section calling out to her mother, "But I don't know what white bread looks like!"

What are parents teaching their children these days? I feel like a curmudgeonly old lady, thinking, "When I was 5, I'd walk to the store to buy white bread AND milk!"

Maybe this should be in the "Reasons to Be Cheerful" thread??  Maybe (c'mon, be an optimist) it was a good thing that the kid had no idea what white bread looked like.  Maybe she was used to healthy homemade grain bread.  We can dream, can't we?

True! But then when her mother said, "It's white bread! You eat it all the time!" she replied, "But I don't know what it looks like to buy it!"

I think she maybe meant she didn't know which brand/variety to buy, but from the way she was standing in front of the bread, I think she really didn't know how to tell which ones were white.

Which is also kind of depressing because shouldn't she have noticed what their bread bag usually looks like, so she could just have chosen the same one?

To be equally fair, I find myself standing agog in the bread aisle trying to find a loaf that I am totally familiar with.    Too many unnecessary and redundant choices...