The fire in the Santa Cruz mountains breaks my heart, the "playground" of my childhood.    Redwoods, streams in ferned canyons.    That incredible smell of a redwood forest.   Homes gone, no lives so far.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Last Tuesday morning, tens of thousands of public school students across New York took the Regents Examination in Global History and Geography. One of the two essays in the 3-hour exam required stu

My HS graduating class was about 500. When FB reared its ugly head, I became "friends" with many of those who I had not been in touch with for years. For me it was anthropologically interesting to see

I still don't see what point is being made. That there are some high school students who don't pay attention in class (if they even show up)?

Posted Images

1 hour ago, voyager said:

The fire in the Santa Cruz mountains breaks my heart, the "playground" of my childhood.    Redwoods, streams in ferned canyons.    That incredible smell of a redwood forest.   Homes gone, no lives so far.

I saw that Big Basin Redwoods State Park suffered a fair amount of damage.  Always loved going up there - and some of "up there' is pretty weird backwoods type shit.

It’s California.   Ya don’t appreciate it, stay East.

eta, the only time I’ve really felt “out of my element” was when as navigator I put us 20km off course in France Profund , in a backwoods lumber camp where all the guys who approached our car looked like carbon copies.   We speak bad French, but they spoke something completely different.    Yeh, the SC mountains have always been a place to retreat to, to do your thing.    But essentially harmless.

4 hours ago, voyager said:

This whole area was the stomping ground of my childhood and youth.    So many mini-institutions on 1 and 9.   So depressing...   

Keeping my fingers crossed for...an old, old favorite...

1684364093_2011_05_31Duartes3.jpeg.c21cbfc3a0384e462fa6eb8d910da11e.jpeg

Cream of artichoke soup.

At...

608595067_2011_05_31Duartes.jpeg.cb6381646b27881c9d09ebcd6d49bcd4.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My cousin's husband, who's been battling renal cancer for several years, finally has to go into hospice.  Even if things were normal and we were going out East for Thanksgiving, I'm not sure he'll be around for that long, but now I definitely can't say goodbye to him in person.