If this is the whine about health things topic, here's my new (old) one.  I've had surgery for "trigger finger" on my right hand - first one was about 15 years ago, the "ring" or 4th, finger. Then, oh about a year+ ago, the index finger needed fixing. Don't get me wrong - you don't rush into surgery; first, you get to have cortisone shots - INTO THE PALM OF YOUR HAND. They typically will try 2 shots before accepting that the shots won't work, and they need to cut the tendon sheath.

Fast forward a few months ago - my index AND middle finger on my left hand (that's the hand I grip knives with, while the other hand holds stuff I'm cutting, unless it's a paring knife, which I use in my right hand while holding the thing being pared in my left - don't ask).  So, like 6 weeks ago, I had a shot into the left palm index finger - it has worked so far. But one night earlier this week, after lots of cooking, the middle finger of my second hand was burning so badly - it kept me awake almost all night. And I couldn't bend it. Oh joy - more shots in the palm! 

Lest you think I have diabetes, trigger finger being a common complication from long-term diabetes, I don't. And according to my doc, a fairly renowned hand surgeon, it's often hereditary, and not uncommon to have different fingers affected. I probably wouldn't do anything if it weren't so painful. But then you can end up with a finger stuck in a bent position, and that can't be good.

Getting older - yes!

• Sad 3
  • Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Last Tuesday morning, tens of thousands of public school students across New York took the Regents Examination in Global History and Geography. One of the two essays in the 3-hour exam required stu

I still don't see what point is being made. That there are some high school students who don't pay attention in class (if they even show up)?

When your daughter calls you to ask how scared she should be. I told her Ronald Reagan had set up sophisticated defenses against a nuclear attack. That’s a thing, right?

Posted Images

11 hours ago, memesuze said:

How is this different from Dupuytren's contracture? My father and brother both had/have it. 

Certainly different in that trigger finger (stenosing tenosynovitis) is caused by an inflamed tendon, not able to glide freely through its sheath, whereas DC is a thickening and knots of tissue forming in the palm.

Interestingly (or maybe not), I have a friend who recently went to my hand doctor, as he had this big knob of thing forming over the past few years, in his palm. And = he has Dupuytren's. His is painless, whereas my trigger hurts like hell.

Also interesting is that my favorite musician has had surgery to correct his Dupuytren's. Which can be frightening for a musician who plays the guitar. And since many musicians are basically broke, if they have Dupuytren's , it can lead to permanent disability. 

Enter the Musician's Treatment Foundation - a non-profit organization offering free surgical and non-surgical treatment for various disorders of the shoulder, arm, elbow and hand, for both under and uninsured musicians.

8 hours ago, splinky said:

those shots are almost worse than the finger pain

I never let the doc administer the shots - he has a great PA, and for some reason, she does it fairly painlessly. First freezing the area well. Oh bullshit - they hurt! But it's over in 10 seconds.

2 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

I never let the doc administer the shots - he has a great PA, and for some reason, she does it fairly painlessly. First freezing the area well.

Practice, practice, practice.    When I recently wound up in hospital, the tech in ER insisted on inserting a stent before I was admitted, saying, "They don't know how to do it upstairs."    

So what I've had very occasionally for the last couple of years is this thing where my thumb suddenly locks across the palm of my hand. It's a little painful, but not too much. I just have to gently prise it back again.

It's absolutely associated with long periods holding a book, so in my case (was) also associated with long flights. Never bothered to have it diagnosed, as it's a minor inconvenience. Just was a big surprise the first few times.

1 hour ago, Wilfrid said:

So what I've had very occasionally for the last couple of years is this thing where my thumb suddenly locks across the palm of my hand. It's a little painful, but not too much. I just have to gently prise it back again.

It's absolutely associated with long periods holding a book, so in my case (was) also associated with long flights. Never bothered to have it diagnosed, as it's a minor inconvenience. Just was a big surprise the first few times.

When it gets stuck, it may be more than a minor inconvenience. I can help with your diagnosis - trigger thumb!

Poet's House has suspended operations and let its staff go (it had been running a busy virtual event program since the lockdown). The aim is to preserve the collection and re-open late in 2021. My informal understanding is that the lease on their space is paid for many years.

https://poetshouse.org/press-release-poets-house-announces-temporary-suspension-of-operations/

Middle Collegiate Church in the East Village was essentially destroyed by fire this morning, after a fire in the abandoned building next door spread to the church.  All of the Tiffany windows are gone, and they're still determining if the bell, which is older than the Liberty Bell, can be saved.  While the building is only from 1892, it's one of the oldest, if not the oldest, continually operating church congregations in the US.