• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Last Tuesday morning, tens of thousands of public school students across New York took the Regents Examination in Global History and Geography. One of the two essays in the 3-hour exam required stu

My HS graduating class was about 500. When FB reared its ugly head, I became "friends" with many of those who I had not been in touch with for years. For me it was anthropologically interesting to see

I still don't see what point is being made. That there are some high school students who don't pay attention in class (if they even show up)?

Posted Images

It still cuts me to the quick that in October my mom was reading Jane Austen novels & watching classic movies on TBN & generally maintaining a lively mental state. One day later, after a cardiac episode (not a heart attack per se but wildly fluctuating heartbeat that caused her to black out & deprived her of some oxygen to the brain until they got her to the hospital & got her stabilized), all that acuity was just gone. She hasn't been the same person since, no interest in reading or watching movies or anything else.

Yet another reminder to enjoy every sandwich. Thanks to all who stop here.

Painful. Very sad, How true it is that life can go from great to shit in five seconds. An elderly aunt stubs her toe and falls, shattering her elbow. A daughter missteps in the dark and tumbles down four stairs, fortunately just wrenching and no worse.

A friend steps out of his car, mind occupied with an ailing mother, his landing foot hits an ice patch. Thump, bang, twist, ouch. Could have been a lot worse.

Great to shit in five seconds. Never take normal for granted.

I read this story on Sunday about a tragic hit and run and was quite shaken by it, since it's so close to home and I just had a feeling that they were a couple from the neighborhood. This morning I heard on the radio the names of those involved. Aneez was a Cardiology resident that I knew. He came through my office on an elective a few years ago, and Cardiology rounds are held at my current office, across from my desk. I also remember him during his first year of Residency around the Surgery offices. This is incredibly sad.

There were also 2 young girls in the truck, 14 and 16....their lives will forever be marred by this tragedy and unfortunately, the justice system in Vancouver will only give the asshole that did this a minimal penalty. He will most likely only get a few years jail time and will have his license back in 5 years.

So very sad. Life can be over in the blink of an eye.

I'll second that. Logan was in a car wreck about two weeks ago, and one person (our neighbor) who saw the car being towed away assumed any passengers would be dead, since the passenger side took the brunt of the hit. He escaped from a car that looked not unlike Jayne Mansfield's flattened wreck with a broken leg, and a fat lip. I told him, "When you get back to school, tell 'em, 'You should see the other guy.' "

The depressing side is he got his thigh-high cast on his 5th birthday, and will be in it until my 50th (that's 12 years, for those of you who can't count). Our lives are very different than they were before that awful night.

I'm being a Nana who is quite indulgent with Jelly Belly beans and those organic lollipops from Trader Joe's.

He's pretty funny, though, scooting around on his butt like a crab. He was trying to show Bob how fast he can scoot, and then said, "Poppy, could you carry me? This scooting 'hots' my butt!"

I'll second that. Logan was in a car wreck about two weeks ago, and one person (our neighbor) who saw the car being towed away assumed any passengers would be dead, since the passenger side took the brunt of the hit. He escaped from a car that looked not unlike Jayne Mansfield's flattened wreck with a broken leg, and a fat lip.

The depressing side is he got his thigh-high cast on his 5th birthday, and will be in it until my 50th (that's 12 years, for those of you who can't count). Our lives are very different than they were before that awful night.

How frightening. Gives me chills to imagine. I wish fast healing to him.

Thanks, so much. The behind-the-scenes support from friends and family (for the grown-ups) has been pretty amazing...donated massages, housework, dinner, and stuff like that. Bigger work and responsibilities face Bob and me, alas. (Alas = "Thank God," you know?)

When he said "Nana, I'm glad you weren't in a car wreck," I told him, "The youngest, strongest person in the family got hurt, so the older people can make the money and take care of you can do that."

That said, his bright blue cast is pretty, well, pretty bright and blue, and it goes well with the tie-dyed t-shirt someone gave him for his birthday.

wheelchairzv3.jpg

Er, I just realized that I omitted a comma after "Jayne Mansfield's wreck," implying that her Lincoln had a broken leg and a fat lip. Bad form. I blame the smudge on my glasses. And also, I remembered her car as being flattened, but a Google tells me the roof was ripped open like a can of sardines.

Onward.

Tana, I'm so sorry to hear this. My best thoughts go out to Logan, and to you and Bob.

GG, that was my first reaction as well, but now I'm pretty sure that "twelve years" bit was Tana's way of assuring us that of course she's nowhere near 50. Of course. (At least I hope so, because otherwise WTF?)