Cool happenings downtown LA

Just a heads up to anyone in the LA area - this upcoming week holds many a fun downtown event for your hearts desires...

Lucha VaVoom brings its fabulous blend of Mexican wrestlers and G-String Burlesque back to the Mayan for two performances June 29 & 30 at the Mayan Theater http://www.luchavavoom.com/upcoming_shows.html

Orpheum Theater is showing the Howard Hughes silent classic "Wings" with the legendary Bob Mitchell accompaning on the mighty Wurlitzer - the last of the great theater organs remaining on Broadway.

This Sat. July 2 at 8pm.

http://www.latos.org/SilentMoviesLA/main_20050501.htm

My husband's new place - Broadway Bar opens it's doors this Thursday night, while it's big brother -

The Golden Gopher celebrates it's one year anniversary with free PBR till it runs out. There's also a good chance the burly-q girls from Lucha will continue their show on the bartop at one place or t'other, and when they get liquored up there's no telling where the evening will go...

Broadway Bar

Golden Gopher Bar

Hope to see you there

I think so. Pretty sure. Or, you could go to her place Cafe Banquette (or is it Banquette Cafe?) for food. They aren't--as I get it her H's places--in terms of operation, he just creates the style, designs them, furnishes them, comes up with the look, and like that.

Is food served at your husband's places?

No strictly liquor, although I have sometimes made a meal out of the garnishing tray.

My husband is the designer, and while not involved in the day to day operations, certainly tells enough people there how to run the place.

My place is Banquette Cafe, 400 S. Main St Los Angeles

I serve food, coffee, wine and beer.

We have been chosen "Best Wine By the Glass" by the Los Angeles Downtown News.

Another reason to be cheerful. :)

Guest Aaron T

Monkey, I didn't realize that your husband designed the Gopher & Broadway Bar. I hadn't seen this post and I coincidentally went to Broadway Bar last week for an opening night or maybe a preopening event on thursday june 23rd that had some connection with the LA Athletic Club. It is a cool space and I particularly like the main floor and upstairs balconies.

One of my friends who works downtown coralled 6 of us into attending the Lucha VaVoom show on Thursday the 30th. It was perhaps the most bizarre event I have ever been to and I had a great time. The wrestling and burlesque were a lot of fun. The Moody Blues and Jack Black were surprise special guests. The actor who provides the voice for Spongebob was the announcer. It was my first time in the Mayan theater and it is an incredible building. They just don't build structures like that anymore.

Afterwards we walked over to the Golden Gopher and drank free Pabst, as we found out about the event through an ad in the Lucha VaVoom program. I had been hearing about the Gopher since it opened and so I guess I thought it was going to be a bigger space. I ran into 3 people I knew there, so I guess people are starting to go out downtown!

I havent drunk the wine at Banquette yet, but I can vouch for the tastiness of the food! :(

My husband is the designer, and while not involved in the day to day operations, certainly tells enough people there how to run the place.

Based on last night's observations, even YOU get involved to keep the pot boiling. Good music, too.

Monkey, I didn't realize that your husband designed the Gopher & Broadway Bar.  I hadn't seen this post and I coincidentally went to Broadway Bar last week for an opening night or maybe a preopening event on thursday june 23rd that had some connection with the LA Athletic Club.  It is a cool space and I particularly like the main floor and upstairs balconies.

One of my friends who works downtown coralled 6 of us into attending the Lucha VaVoom show on Thursday the 30th.  It was perhaps the most bizarre event I have ever been to and I had a great time.  The wrestling and burlesque were a lot of fun.  The Moody Blues and Jack Black were surprise special guests.  The actor who provides the voice for Spongebob was the announcer.  It was my first time in the Mayan theater and it is an incredible building.  They just don't build structures like that anymore.

Afterwards we walked over to the Golden Gopher and drank free Pabst, as we found out about the event through an ad in the Lucha VaVoom program.  I had been hearing about the Gopher since it opened and so I guess I thought it was going to be a bigger space.  I ran into 3 people I knew there, so I guess people are starting to go out downtown!

I havent drunk the wine at Banquette yet, but I can vouch for the tastiness of the food!   :(

Ah, you went as part of the 431 club? Yes, I was there much later in the evening.

I believe the 'official' Broadway party will be on the 20th of this month.

I'm so glad you liked Lucha. It's one of my favorite shows and just keeps getting better and better. I was sitting ringside about four seats down from Jack Black, and there is nothing funnier than looking at wrestler ass crack all night. Plus, my two fav burly-q dancers performed - the beautiful androgyne with the hulahoop and the gorgeous geisha who strips to "Anarchy in the UK". So fabulous. I missed the Moody Blues - they were there? We left after the Poubelle Twins and the midgets to continue drinking at Broadway and the Gopher. Those $10 tequila shots at the Mayan were killing me.

A reminder of another great upcoming event:

Downtown Art Walk

July 14th 12pm-9pm

http://www.downtownartwalk.com/

Amazing artists, amazing spaces.

Check it out.

Based on last night's observations, even YOU get involved to keep the pot boiling. Good music, too.

I thought you were busy observing something else, my dear. :(

Glad you noticed the music tho. Great thought goes into the jukebox selections.

More great stuff. You're the only person who describes an LA I'd like to visit.

Same here. I lived there, and I've visited there, and I've hated the place ever since. Monkeymay's posts make it seem downright interesting.

Same here. I lived there, and I've visited there, and I've hated the place ever since. Monkeymay's posts make it seem downright interesting.

Same here.

I've lived here for over 30 years with just a few years spent elsewhere.

Maybe I just got bored and jaded with LA. Or maybe I got sick of the newbies who are more LA than the locals, copping LA 'tude. Not that everyone is like this.

The woman gives good talk. She could probably make El Monte sound inviting. Well, maybe not El Monte.

You know Pacoima reminds me of Paris.

The woman gives good talk. She could probably make El Monte sound inviting. Well, maybe not El Monte.

You know Pacoima reminds me of Paris.

Yeah, Paris, Texas.