GG Mora

You Learn Something New Every Day

Although sometimes it's something everyone already knows, it's just that I somehow missed it. One of those last week (now completely forgotten) that inspired me to start this thread, but then I lost momentum (and the impetus, apparently). And then yesterday, I learned something new: Hip dysplasia isn't confined to the canine population – humans can be affected, too. Duh, I guess. I mean, why not? Turns out my brother has it, it can be hereditary, and it would certainly explain some of my anatomical anomalies.

There.

So, what did you learn today?

• Like 22

Reminds me of one of the few occasions I heard the famous wit Jeffrey Bernard enunciate a witticism.

Pub bore: (reads a very dull fact from a daily newspaper) "Well I never. You learn something new every day."

Bernard: "You fucking do." :(

Just the other day I realized the chimes in the subway play a descending interval for approaching inbound trains, and an ascending interval for outbound trains.

Guess that's not really learning anything, just finally catching on to something that should have been pretty obvious after two decades of riding the subway! :(

Freaky trick for Mac OS X users: in any Mac OS program (Mail, Safari, TextEdit) where you might compose or edit text, you can get the Mac to read it to you. Highlight a block of text, then hold down the control key and click on the text. In the pop-up window that appears, scroll down to “Speech” and select “Start Speaking”.

Surreal.

Freaky trick for Mac OS X users: in any Mac OS program (Mail, Safari, TextEdit) where you might compose or edit text, you can get the Mac to read it to you. Highlight a block of text, then hold down the control key and click on the text. In the pop-up window that appears, scroll down to “Speech” and select “Start Speaking”.

Surreal.

Yes, and it will tell you the time - my kids programmed it to do that and it freaked me out.

What I learn every day:

No good deed goes unpunished.

Guest Suzanne F
What I learn every day:

No good deed goes unpunished.

:( You mean that nice Frenchwoman I directed to the proper subway to get to the Empire State Building could have been a terrorist? :(

Mouthfuls and the Internal Revenue Service are the only two entities that officially recognize Scientology as a religion.

Having opposable thumbs doesn't make you smart

But seriously...

I learned recently that people who are allergic to the cassein in milk products can usually eat goat cheese. Cassein is only in cow's milk I guess.

Mouthfuls and the Internal Revenue Service are the only two entities that officially recognize Scientology as a religion.

:( :(

Sheep's milk cheeses are supposedly ok too.

I was reading from McGee's On Food and Cooking and learned that cane sugar comes from Asia. By the Middle Ages they were using it in the Arab world and it didn't get to Europe until the 13th c.

Working in Photoshop just now, I accidentally hit COMMAND-' instead of COMMAND-L, and a lovely little grid appeared on the screen.

When the temperature gets abouve 115 airplanes need more runway to take off and must carry less weight to be able to.