You Learn Something New Every Day

Pinterest pinners are breaking the law when they post other people's content without permission.

There has been considerable discussion about copyright issues and Pinterest. Here's one of many articles.

Pinterest protects itself by using the safe harbor of the DMCA, which protects websites from liability when users post infringing content. Personally (I am not a lawyer), I think Pinterest is misusing the Act, because so much of the content its users post is obviously infringing copyright.

If you can make any money out of people poaching your content, well done.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Although sometimes it's something everyone already knows, it's just that I somehow missed it. One of those last week (now completely forgotten) that inspired me to start this thread, but then I lost m

Criticism or endorsement of religions remains off limits on mouthfuls, guys. So does threatening violence in support of it

I actually sometimes like liver flavors, but... You have to try those two wines with a duck and/or goose liver pate. One taste is not nice, one is scrumptious.

Posted Images

just noticed that some of my photos from flickr have ended up pinned on pinterest. one has been pinned for nearly a year but because the owner of the photo gets credit, but no notice, i had no idea until today. maybe this belongs in the surrealism. anyway, i also noticed that getty has a link on my photo pages on flickr offering to assist folks in licensing my photos at the following prices. how did i not know anything about any of this? how much of the licensing fees would come to me if someone did contact getty? why do the pinterest pinners not have to pay licensing or get permission? does this make me a published photographer?

i suppose i should be flattered because there have been a bunch of repins, but i'd probably rather have the money. callie needs a new pair of shoes

I found a photo of mine up on pinterest. I tried making my photo private, thinking with the change in URL, the posted photo would disappear. No such luck. I tried to complain to pinterest, but you must be a member in order to do so. Why should I have to be a member of pinterest in order to complain about someone using my photo without permission on the pinterest website!?!??!?!

(all my photos are marked all rights reserved)

just noticed that some of my photos from flickr have ended up pinned on pinterest. one has been pinned for nearly a year but because the owner of the photo gets credit, but no notice, i had no idea until today. maybe this belongs in the surrealism. anyway, i also noticed that getty has a link on my photo pages on flickr offering to assist folks in licensing my photos at the following prices. how did i not know anything about any of this? how much of the licensing fees would come to me if someone did contact getty? why do the pinterest pinners not have to pay licensing or get permission? does this make me a published photographer?

i suppose i should be flattered because there have been a bunch of repins, but i'd probably rather have the money. callie needs a new pair of shoes

I found a photo of mine up on pinterest. I tried making my photo private, thinking with the change in URL, the posted photo would disappear. No such luck. I tried to complain to pinterest, but you must be a member in order to do so. Why should I have to be a member of pinterest in order to complain about someone using my photo without permission on the pinterest website!?!??!?!

pinterest tells you on their site what is required to request removal of content from their site. you send your request to this email address: copyright@pinterest.com no need to become a member.

[this is not legal advice] but the quick and dirty version of the info pinterest wants and you need, to issue a takedown notice is: identify the location (url of the pin) of your content on their site . point them to where (url) you reserved your rights on your blog, website, flickr, etc.. explain why the pinning is not a fair use, also that no permission was requested (in violation of pinterest's own rules) nor was permission granted. then you tell them that you are asserting your right to have the image/content removed, because it not only violates your copyright but also violates the terms of their membership agreement. give a reasonable specific time frame for them to remove the material. if it's not removed by that deadline, [pinterest kindly shows you how long something has been pinned] just calculate your license fee from the pin date and send them (pinterest) a bill.

if you feel extra mean you can remind them they can be de-indexed if they are found to be in violation of the law and that you wouldn't mind reporting them.

Dear Random Person from The Interwebs,

We are in receipt of your letter dated 8/17/2012 regarding alleged copyright infringement of your picture "cute kitten and sunset". We are in the process of reviewing your claim, and have removed the pin temporarily.

Regarding your bill, thank you, we appreciate a good laugh. In fact, we have decided that given the lack of artistic or technical merit of your picture "cute kitten and sunset", it is us who will be sending you a bill for hosting and bandwidth utilization. laugh.gif

Sometimes we just kill us.

Ta,

Pinterest

Dear Random Person from The Interwebs,

We are in receipt of your letter dated 8/17/2012 regarding alleged copyright infringement of your picture "cute kitten and sunset". We are in the process of reviewing your claim, and have removed the pin temporarily.

Regarding your bill, thank you, we appreciate a good laugh. In fact, we have decided that given the lack of artistic or technical merit of your picture "cute kitten and sunset", it is us who will be sending you a bill for hosting and bandwidth utilization. laugh.gif

Sometimes we just kill us.

Ta,

Pinterest

well exactly. i never said anything good would come of complaining.

pinterest tells you on their site what is required to request removal of content from their site. you send your request to this email address: copyright@pinterest.com no need to become a member.

[this is not legal advice] but the quick and dirty version of the info pinterest wants and you need, to issue a takedown notice is: identify the location (url of the pin) of your content on their site . point them to where (url) you reserved your rights on your blog, website, flickr, etc.. explain why the pinning is not a fair use, also that no permission was requested (in violation of pinterest's own rules) nor was permission granted. then you tell them that you are asserting your right to have the image/content removed, because it not only violates your copyright but also violates the terms of their membership agreement. give a reasonable specific time frame for them to remove the material. if it's not removed by that deadline, [pinterest kindly shows you how long something has been pinned] just calculate your license fee from the pin date and send them (pinterest) a bill.

if you feel extra mean you can remind them they can be de-indexed if they are found to be in violation of the law and that you wouldn't mind reporting them.

Thanks. When I first found my photo on pinterest, the only way to report was to be a member (you had to sign in to access the form). I've found a few other photos of mine, and will now report them in the hopes that they will be removed.

Any idea what to use for "URL" in http://pinterest.com/source/URL when looking for photos from your flickr page? The url from my photostream? Or from each individual set? I tried just pasting in the URL I come up with when I look at my page, but that doesn't seem to work.

Thanks. When I first found my photo on pinterest, the only way to report was to be a member (you had to sign in to access the form). I've found a few other photos of mine, and will now report them in the hopes that they will be removed.

Any idea what to use for "URL" in http://pinterest.com/source/URL when looking for photos from your flickr page? The url from my photostream? Or from each individual set? I tried just pasting in the URL I come up with when I look at my page, but that doesn't seem to work.

no idea. my photo was of part of my art collection and someone had pinned it under the category of art. it was just dumb luck that i found it. it doesn't come up with the flickr url. frankly, i'm not worried about it and will leave it be. i just think it would have been nice to have a heads up that it was pinned instead of stumbling across it. if i made my living selling what was pinned i'd probably be pissed but i'm over it. i was just surprised how easily my content made the rounds without my knowledge

I was reading from McGee's On Food and Cooking and learned that cane sugar comes from Asia. By the Middle Ages they were using it in the Arab world and it didn't get to Europe until the 13th c.

And it didn't get to the so-called New World until the Spanish brought it, on the cusp of the 16th century. We had bee honey, but no cane sugar.