You Learn Something New Every Day

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Although sometimes it's something everyone already knows, it's just that I somehow missed it. One of those last week (now completely forgotten) that inspired me to start this thread, but then I lost m

I actually sometimes like liver flavors, but... You have to try those two wines with a duck and/or goose liver pate. One taste is not nice, one is scrumptious.

Criticism or endorsement of religions remains off limits on mouthfuls, guys. So does threatening violence in support of it

Posted Images

There was a trial. He wasn't convicted. It's not like penniless Mia Farrow had court appointed lawyers either. There has been a lot of commotion generated by Farrow's camp recently, 20 years after the trial. She said some stuff, one of her adopted kids said she was full of shit.

Only God knows whether Allen was guilty although our legal system has left him alone. But Dunham, wise beyond her 27 years, led the lynch mob to get him.

How's she liking Facebook/Twitter justice now?

There was a trial. He wasn't convicted. It's not like penniless Mia Farrow had court appointed lawyers either. There has been a lot of commotion generated by Farrow's camp recently, 20 years after the trial. She said some stuff, one of her adopted kids said she was full of shit.

Only God knows whether Allen was guilty although our legal system has left him alone. But Dunham, wise beyond her 27 years, led the lynch mob to get him.

How's she liking Facebook/Twitter justice now?

but woody never claimed that he abused anyone, Lena flat out admitted what she did and got mad that everyone didn't think it was cute and funny. of course, she may have been lying because she thinks child sexual abuse and incest are really great setups for twitter jokes

Lena made a joke as a comedienne as comediennes do. Whether it was funny or not is kind of irrelevant. The interesting thing - if you find these things interesting - is that the joke reveals a tension in third wave feminism between 1) an intense belief that our definitions of sexual abuse are both too narrow and too tolerant, and that those definitions aren't nearly serious enough and 2) the more typical feminist belief that women should be able to engage in the same kind of gross-out humour that men are.

Of course, Lena Dunham is an easy target for everyone else because she's popular, outspoken, precocious, female, not conventionally attractive and says things that plenty of people don't want to hear from people like Lena Dunham.

Lena made a joke as a comedienne as comediennes do. Whether it was funny or not is kind of irrelevant. The interesting thing - if you find these things interesting - is that the joke reveals a tension in third wave feminism between 1) an intense belief that our definitions of sexual abuse are both too narrow and too tolerant, and that those definitions aren't nearly serious enough and 2) the more typical feminist belief that women should be able to engage in the same kind of gross-out humour that men are.

Of course, Lena Dunham is an easy target for everyone else because she's popular, outspoken, precocious, female, not conventionally attractive and says things that plenty of people don't want to hear from people like Lena Dunham.

just to be clear: before the backlash she claimed it was just the plain truth that she wrote in her memoir, now that it's unpopular, she claims it was just a joke. so now what we've got is something billed as a memoir that apparently isn't a memoir but is just her made up jokes about child sexual abuse, rape and other unpleasant stuff and she's just pretended all these "hilariously" horrible things happened to fill a book

i have no problem believing that everything she writes or says is a lie but i think she needs to be more upfront about the fact that everything she shares is basically bullshit

Here's the quote:

“Basically, anything a sexual predator might do to woo a small suburban girl I was trying.”

That's clearly a joke, especially coming from someone like Lena Dunham. The "Basically, I was a _____" is a pretty common joke construction, especially for people of Lena Dunham's group. I promise you, she was not confessing to a sex crime. Nor has she denied that the book isn't true or the episode didn't happen.

Whether you think that particular construction is funny, or whether you find Lena Dunham's schtick funny is something else.

Here's the quote:

“Basically, anything a sexual predator might do to woo a small suburban girl I was trying.”

That's clearly a joke, especially coming from someone like Lena Dunham. The "Basically, I was a _____" is a pretty common joke construction, especially for people of Lena Dunham's group. I promise you, she was not confessing to a sex crime. Nor has she denied that the book isn't true or the episode didn't happen.

Whether you think that particular construction is funny, or whether you find Lena Dunham's schtick funny is something else.

Doesn't that line of defense excuse anything Dunham might say?

Here's the quote:

Doesn't that line of defense excuse anything Dunham might say?

it clearly does and that's the problem. she's not truthful and there's a long line of lena dunham apologists who can't wait to excuse her for any stupid or harmful thing that she says or does.

adrian which is it? "i was just kidding when i said i raped my baby sister" or "when i raped my baby sister, i was just kidding. but yeah, i raped her". neither statement is funny but one is criminal

A child engaging in sexual play with another child is not criminal activity nor is it abnormal. Every single piece written by an expert in child development or child psychology written since Dunham's statement has said that.

Whether Dunham's response was funny is another question.

Here's the quote:

try that at the airport. tell the tsa you are basically a terrorist or basically a bomber and see if they think it's a joke.