GG Mora

You Learn Something New Every Day

Criticism or endorsement of religions remains off limits on mouthfuls, guys. So does threatening violence in support of it

• Like 5

Anderson Cooper is Gloria Vanderbilt's son? What rock have I been living under?

Anderson Cooper is Gloria Vanderbilt's son? What rock have I been living under?

I didn't know that! (love your sig line)

He's got a good career ahead of him, IMO.

David Blaine held his breath under water for 7 minutes, 8 secs. Didn't beat the record which is 8 mins 58 secs, but that is something. I imagined the record would be around 6mins as I learned yonks ago that pearl divers could go that long.

I was at the Lincoln Ctr on Friday (to see Tosca) and it was surreal seeing Blaine in his 8-foot circular tank.

And he did this after being submerged for the best part of a week, right?

Nothing, of course, in comparison to thirty minutes of MRI (even in an open machine), but pretty remarkable.

Yes, a whole week in that tank. The sight was quite creepy to me. I think I'd have got the bends. Also, it's suggested he stayed in the tank this long to prepare for holding his breath; I'd have thought the ordeal would've weakened him.

msnbc.com described his appearance, on emerging from the tank, as "wrinkly". :lol:

1) If Blaine switched to pure oxygen before holding his breath it would help.

2) Open MRIs are for wimps.

3) Getting back on topic... Adiabatic 90s are necessary for stimulated echo diffusion sequences.

When the temperature gets abouve 115 airplanes need more runway to take off and must carry less weight to be able to.

A pilot told me awhile back that very humid air is lighter and dry air is heavier, which is related to lift. It is confusing to me that humid air, which feels oppressive, is light but also more difficult to get lift in. Any pilots who know abou tthis?

But my learn something new moment most recently came whilst doing something I have already done plenty of: drinking wine with food. I never got the unpleasant livery flavor of pate with chardonnay side by side with the lovely buttery flavor of pate with Sauternes. Sorry for the snobby sounding wine thing- but in a restaurant kitchen I got a really *BWANG* moment out of that. Geez, why didn't I know that?

But my learn something new moment most recently came whilst doing something I have already done plenty of: drinking wine with food. I never got the unpleasant livery flavor of pate with chardonnay side by side with the lovely buttery flavor of pate with Sauternes. Sorry for the snobby sounding wine thing- but in a restaurant kitchen I got a really *BWANG* moment out of that. Geez, why didn't I know that?

I am completely and totally about avoiding the liver flavor. Gak. Wine pairings can be revelatory. (BWANG is a very good word, too.)

(Did you know your font size, on a general browser, is reallllllly tiny and haaaaaaaaaard to read? Though I love a good serif as much as the next person, the default fonts here are actually easy to read.)

I am completely and totally about avoiding the liver flavor. Gak. Wine pairings can be revelatory. (BWANG is a very good word, too.)

(Did you know your font size, on a general browser, is reallllllly tiny and haaaaaaaaaard to read? Though I love a good serif as much as the next person, the default fonts here are actually easy to read.)

Confessions of a font nut: I know that can happen. It is an addiction for me.

But I will make a real effort to change this time. Thanks!

Confessions of a font nut

Did you mean fondue nut ? Mmmm, delicious, peeled almonds dipped in hot chocolate :lol:

Wow. I have absolutely no idea what that means. Amazing.