GG Mora

You Learn Something New Every Day

Small mammals such as squirrels, rats, mice, hamsters, guinea pigs, gerbils, chipmunks, rabbits, and hares are almost never found to be infected with rabies and have not been known to cause rabies among humans in the United States.

CDC

Napoleon Bonaparte created a baby naming law that decreed which names were acceptable. This continued until 1993! when it was decided that parents are free to choose the name unless it is contrary to the interests of the child. In 2015, a couple wanted to name the kid Nutella, but was denied by the judge, who shortened the name to Ella.

How could I possibly not have known that Arthur Penn was Irving Penn's brother?

And their other brother Bic.

(Inspired by Voyager's joke on another thread).

I had no idea that the choreography for The Rite of Spring was so weird. I guess that makes sense.

I can't really fault the judgment of posterity that the music isn't enhanced by stomping men wearing bizarre costumes and holding weird contorted poses, though.

Today I realized that I can take the dust jacket off a book while reading it. I felt really clever for about half a second. Then I felt like an utter idiot.

Scallops have eyes.

And live ones are likely to snap closed on your fingers if you're not careful. So be grateful they don't have teeth as well.

Kind of like a nosegay: a small, tight bouquet, usually in a holder, that is either held in one's hand or pinned onto clothing.

The book on brain-health plants I'm Americanizing has a sidebar about making a tussy mussy. Apparently the term is known in the US, at least to what I believe used to be about.com, so I don't have to change it