You Learn Something New Every Day

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Although sometimes it's something everyone already knows, it's just that I somehow missed it. One of those last week (now completely forgotten) that inspired me to start this thread, but then I lost m

Criticism or endorsement of religions remains off limits on mouthfuls, guys. So does threatening violence in support of it

I actually sometimes like liver flavors, but... You have to try those two wines with a duck and/or goose liver pate. One taste is not nice, one is scrumptious.

Posted Images

2 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

I learned to:

1268505343_Redpeppercapfallsoff09-07.jpeg.0214c555051e6d128e46c8b18810b8da.jpeg

Always check the cap before "sprinkling" the crushed red pepper into the pan.

Years ago I was making gazapacho when I did the same thing - poured a massive amount flakes into the food processor. I removed as many as possible but proceeded with the dish. I then served it to my guests - all but one ate a few spoonfuls but couldn't handle the heat. But one of my guests was Israeli of Algerian descent who devoured the bowl, asked for seconds. Then thirds. And exclaimed it was the first time he ever attended a meal where the food was properly seasoned. 🤣

• Like 1

The gooseneck kettle I bought makes a big difference when making pourover coffees.  In wonky terms, the extraction times are longer; in taste terms, the coffee is stronger and "darker" tasting, even for medium or lighter roasts.

8 hours ago, StephanieL said:

The gooseneck kettle I bought makes a big difference when making pourover coffees.  In wonky terms, the extraction times are longer; in taste terms, the coffee is stronger and "darker" tasting, even for medium or lighter roasts.

Oh yes - not only do I have a nice Hario, I have the same Hario sitting in the closet as backup, in case the one I use daily falls apart.  I've even left it on the heat empty, unknowingly, for an hour and it's fine.

The creek that runs through a park not too far from my house has what looks like small crayfish.  I didn't think our local waters had such creatures in them.  I found out because I went to do Tashlich there, and as I was throwing the bread in the water I saw them emerge and use their pincers to grab the bread pieces, some of which were quite large relative to them.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Those tins of canned fish with the pull-off lids can have deceptively sharp rims after you take the lids off.

2. There's a powder called BleedStop that's essentially pectin, so to stop a bleeding wound you can make your own blood jelly.  It is effective, though, and is available at your local CVS.

Ask me how I now know this. 🙄

On 10/2/2020 at 9:53 PM, StephanieL said:

1. Those tins of canned fish with the pull-off lids can have deceptively sharp rims after you take the lids off.

2. There's a powder called BleedStop that's essentially pectin, so to stop a bleeding wound you can make your own blood jelly.  It is effective, though, and is available at your local CVS.

686e00ce-b2a1-44f4-8ff3-ec3504991d28_1.8

trust a crackhead.

• Like 1
On 10/2/2020 at 9:53 PM, StephanieL said:

My ninth birthday party was ruined when my mom cut open her hand pulling off the lid on a can of nuts (remember the days when you could serve nuts at birthday parties?) The memory of dad rushing her to the ER and my aunt having to act as hostess has stayed with me to this day. I'm always a little nervous when I have pull a lid off.