You Learn Something New Every Day

2 hours ago, Tubbs said:

If you store lots of junk in the unused shower of your basement bathroom, one day the water in the p trap will finally evaporate and the sewage gases that it has so heroically kept at bay for years will...no longer be kept at bay. 

The super in my building has told me that you need to pour water down an unused drain with regularity to avoid this.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Although sometimes it's something everyone already knows, it's just that I somehow missed it. One of those last week (now completely forgotten) that inspired me to start this thread, but then I lost m

Criticism or endorsement of religions remains off limits on mouthfuls, guys. So does threatening violence in support of it

I actually sometimes like liver flavors, but... You have to try those two wines with a duck and/or goose liver pate. One taste is not nice, one is scrumptious.

Posted Images

7 hours ago, bloviatrix said:

The super in my building has told me that you need to pour water down an unused drain with regularity to avoid this.

Indeed. 12 hours later the smell has finally gone away. My kids really enjoyed seeing the firefighters who came to check it wasn't a gas leak though. (I'll have you guess how many of the 3 police/firefighters had masks on or even hanging around their ears). 

10 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

That's what is great about a one-bedroom, one-bathroom apartment. No unused drains ever.

I wish I could use the shower in the second bathroom. But it doesn't keep a steady temperature so you move from scalding to ice and the water pressure sucks. (and yes, I keep saying I'll try a shower head with no restricter plate)

24 minutes ago, bloviatrix said:

I wish I could use the shower in the second bathroom. But it doesn't keep a steady temperature so you move from scalding to ice and the water pressure sucks. (and yes, I keep saying I'll try a shower head with no restricter plate)

Not sure there's anything you can do about the temp. being steady.  I assume that the 2nd bathroom is not on the same line as the kitchen or 1st bathroom & that its a relatively large building?  At any rate, taking out the restrictor from your current shower head is easy, but if you want to buy a new one, go to a small non-chain hardware store and have them take it out for you.  Or to any super or "handy person" you may know in the neighborhood.  Its an easy removal.  I've watched it done several times now.  You might consider buying a head that can be hand held as well since, when the water temp changes, these are easier to point away from your body and limit the damage.

By the way, do you know that there may be a similar restrictor in the temp. handle which is supposed to prevent scalding water?  In your case, you might actually want a new handle with one installed just to keep you from getting burned.

This message brought to you by one of the most non-handy guys around.  But one who knows how to find someone to do things.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Steve R. said:

Not sure there's anything you can do about the temp. being steady.  I assume that the 2nd bathroom is not on the same line as the kitchen or 1st bathroom & that its a relatively large building?  At any rate, taking out the restrictor from your current shower head is easy, but if you want to buy a new one, go to a small non-chain hardware store and have them take it out for you.  Or to any super or "handy person" you may know in the neighborhood.  Its an easy removal.  I've watched it done several times now.  You might consider buying a head that can be hand held as well since, when the water temp changes, these are easier to point away from your body and limit the damage.

By the way, do you know that there may be a similar restrictor in the temp. handle which is supposed to prevent scalding water?  In your case, you might actually want a new handle with one installed just to keep you from getting burned.

This message brought to you by one of the most non-handy guys around.  But one who knows how to find someone to do things.

Although having a handheld shower head option would be great, if won't work in this situation as the shower head drops down directly from the ceiling of the shower. Somehow the old super/handyman fucked up the shower about 15 years ago when it needed to be re-tiled. Before that I never had a problem with either temperature or water pressure.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Orik said:

There's a 50 cent coin.

I guess the coin shortage is getting real if someone at the greenmarket dug up change from the 70s

Yes, the Kennedy half-dollar.  There's also a $2 bill.

• 3 weeks later...