Picasso everywhere

Wilfrid

50th anniversary of his death so he’s ubiquitously present. The Fontainebleau show at MoMA is essential. At much more modest scale, the Met show about a commission to provide panels for a house in Brooklyn is also worth seeing (I had never heard of this commission which remained incomplete). The extant panels are lovely (Cubist period).

Getting smaller, there’s a side room of delicate drawings and calligraphy focused on a 16th century Spanish lyric poet, Gongora, at the Hispanic Society Museum. Take in their good permanent collection at the same time (all free).

And last day Saturday, shows at two branches of Almine Rech, “Echo of Picasso,” showing his influence on contemporary artists. The uptown branch has some Picasso’s too. 

On 12/13/2023 at 12:13 PM, Wilfrid said:

Getting smaller, there’s a side room of delicate drawings and calligraphy focused on a 16th century Spanish lyric poet, Gongora, at the Hispanic Society Museum. 

Looking at the catalog for the above led me to search for Gongora on the NY Society Library website. I discovered to my surprise that they have a copy of Picasso’s illustrated Gongora. It does not circulate but I will go and take a look. He illustrated 20 sonnets, but not all the illustrations were in the exhibit.

• Like 1