So, where are *you* going next?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought it would be cool to have a thread -- akin to the Breakfast and Supper threads -- where we talk about the trips we've booked that we're looking forward to taking.   Cameron and I are going

Excellent!   False modesty will get you nowhere on this board. A Latin scholar spending a year doing research in Rome, eh? I look forward to your posts. By the way, when the woman said the pigs w

I hope you'll be sending us occasional reports about life in Rome.

Posted Images

19 hours ago, Orik said:

Spain. I figure at least three good weeks before the Delta variant lockdown. 

Shit. I've got Spain planned for October. I'm sure the 5th wave will be over by then... Maybe even the 6th!

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Tubbs said:

Lovely. Where is that? 

Between Kufstein and Innsbruck. It’s not a hotel though, they host large groups like sports clubs or school groups.

On 6/24/2021 at 11:31 PM, Anthony Bonner said:

Nanny leaving for Poland on Sunday for 9 days. Today announced a mandatory 9 day quarantine on arrival.

France now recommending against travel to Iberia. Valencia and the other party provinces shutting down nightlife. The UK is of course insane. 

• 2 weeks later...

Great time in Atlanta.

But. 30 hours door to door coming back. Second place to my all-time worst 36 hours from Nashville - but that was a holiday weekend.

Original flight, long delayed by storms at EWR. Canceled by Frontier, couldn’t rebook anyone next day, perhaps days or weeks ahead. No hotel offers, nothing.

Grabbed an alternative from United leaving 11am next day, flying via Dulles. I could have saved money flying via Detroit for 11 hours.

Because many people stranded I spent half an hour watching airport hotel rooms being snapped up. I found a room downtown, back in the city, and listening to the front desk it was their last one.

That alternative flight was pushed back to late afternoon, and they kept pushing it back hour by hour. It was a ghost plane. It didn’t exist.

I changed to a real flight and I survived. Now in a bar in Harlem listening to reggaeton and I am done.

My own photo of relief.

4886753E-0A6F-435A-A5F2-0DDB19DBF03D.jpeg

We're supposed to go to Toronto in October for a bar mitzvah. And it even looks like they'll finally open the border by then for non-citizens. But, the length of time for passport renewals is now about 18 weeks. It's looking highly unlikely my new passport will be in my hands by then. And spouse needs to renew his.

Hiking again in Austria last weekend. We had some light rain for the hike, but then overnight got more than 100l/m2 rainfall, which meant the burbling little stream we were walking next to on Saturday had turned into a power jet of mud and debris on Sunday. 

We drove by the river Inn in Kufstein on the way back (after a detour through Wörgl) and that was truly frightening - Bernoulli effect in full force. Kufstein town center was flooded, not as bad as NRW and Berchtesgaden but major property damage.

I think this may be the inflection point for climate regulation, at least in Germany and bordering countries.

It was surreal watching the flood coverage from incredibly dry and warm Madrid, and everyone explaining how it's a millennial event reminded me of how Japan redid the calculations and it turned out the massive drain halls they built in Tokyo will now limit major flooding to once every 30 years and not once every 500 years as promised. 

Madrid was terrific, although the absence of bars (and somewhat weepy chef friends) put an outsized crimp in the city's style. We planned a couple of side trips but with most of the peninsula being even warmer and reimposing restrictions, just stayed put. It helped that the north facing shaded deck featured magnificent air shows by thousands of swallows (European airspeed, but apparently wintering in west Africa) to go with pre-sunset (9:30pm) drinks. 

How are the locals feeling about COVID? And how is the vaccination situation? 

I've been in Columbus, OH and Lexington, KY the last few weeks. Both were basically back to pre-COVID behavior. Las Vegas is spiking mightily. 13.5% positivity (last seen in Feb.) Hospitalizations are spiking. And the local vaccination rate is under 55%. LV attracts risk takers and people who come here to do all the things they would never do in their hometowns. The wink, wink, nod, nod that tourists who aren't vaccinated should wear masks--what ever could go wrong with that honor system 🤬. My ATL-LAS flight today was (pardon the phrasing) a shit show of leisure traveler bad behavior. Not enough to divert. But a few folks were written up and told their return flights would be cancelled since they wouldn't wear their masks. I am continually amazed at how selfish people can be.

So, if anyone (and I'm guessing no one on here is) was even remotely considering a visit to LV, don't.