So, where are *you* going next?

The t-shirt below summarizes how the locals feel, and not from a libertarian place. Objectively Madrid is doing okay - 50%+ vaccinated (70+ y/o are at 98%!) and a successful push since last week to get all 16+ vaccinated quickly, plus the many people who already had covid puts them not too far behind nyc (I guess 6-8 weeks behind or so). No change in hospitalizations or deaths so far since this wave started and really everyone has had enough but are still playing along. 

The summer vacation destinations are like what you describe in LV except they are quicker to impose restrictions, or at least to say they are doing so

Speaking of shitshows - 30 passengers on our flight failed to complete the various random forms and attestations required to board and so we had to wait for their baggage to be removed, of course along with other random baggage, including ours!

camiseta-corona.jpg

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought it would be cool to have a thread -- akin to the Breakfast and Supper threads -- where we talk about the trips we've booked that we're looking forward to taking.   Cameron and I are going

Excellent!   False modesty will get you nowhere on this board. A Latin scholar spending a year doing research in Rome, eh? I look forward to your posts. By the way, when the woman said the pigs w

I hope you'll be sending us occasional reports about life in Rome.

Posted Images

JTF-I can't help it. Which in a way, makes me glad. Because between living in Las Vegas-where idiots and ultra selfish people abound, and working with professional athletes (not so much the college ones--but I am very much afraid that will change with NIL) it would be very easy to become totally jaded and cynical. Thankfully I'm not there yet.

Ori-I'd say that shirt covers most of the bases 😆. The 98% number is amazing! I guess vacation destinations everywhere suffer from the "I'll do what I wouldn't do at home" syndrome. Was that DL that hosed up and removed your luggage--what a pain.

Thanks to LA reinstituting the mask indoors mandate, officials here have called an emergency meeting today to consider doing the same. They basically swore they wouldn't do that. But, I think common sense may prevail, amazingly enough. It's either going to be masks indoors, or face the possibility of more serious restrictions, since our ICUs are filling up at an alarming rate.

I was hoping to make a quick road trip to the US shortly after August 9th, but as it happens, Canada is allowing US residents in as of that date, but not vice versa. Interesting, since my home province has a much better vaccination rate than my neighboring state. We're at 77.6% aged 12+ with single vaccinations, and 62% with double. Our neighbor is at 48.6% and 39.7%, respectively. This despite our neighbor having had much earlier access to vaccines, and with none of the other supply problems we have been plagued with. And just 2 months ago, we had the highest per capita infection rate in North America.     

I am, however, taking a week off and traveling to BC next month. On the itinerary, GTA, Victoria, maybe Salt Spring Island, and Penticton. Flights were the cheapest I've seen in decades - <$600 return for two. It's usually not much less for just one. 

Given how cases are rising in Louisiana, I'm wondering if the state will hit the brakes on large indoor gatherings like conventions.  Right now, I'll have to show proof of a negative COVID test within 72 hours of my picking up my conference registration badge.

I remember the mayor or some LV politician saying something like "We're opening up everything because it doesn't matter if people get COVID since they're all tourists and they'll bring it back to their homes."       

Really, what can you say to that? It's simply jaw dropping.

On 7/20/2021 at 2:41 PM, StephanieL said:

Given how cases are rising in Louisiana, I'm wondering if the state will hit the brakes on large indoor gatherings like conventions.  Right now, I'll have to show proof of a negative COVID test within 72 hours of my picking up my conference registration badge.

Just an FYI from a friend who owns a restaurant in NOLA--they are asking people (not mandating-yet) to mask up any time they are in restaurants while not seated or not actively eating and drinking. They are like LV, spiking - mostly thanks to the tourists. But they won't mandate or cancel unless there is no other option. But, your organization might make the call instead, considering how things are going. LAS has had a couple of conferences cancel. And some Strip entertainers suddenly have had unexplained postponements of their returns that were scheduled for this week...

16 hours ago, Evelyn said:

Just an FYI from a friend who owns a restaurant in NOLA--they are asking people (not mandating-yet) to mask up any time they are in restaurants while not seated or not actively eating and drinking. They are like LV, spiking - mostly thanks to the tourists. But they won't mandate or cancel unless there is no other option. But, your organization might make the call instead, considering how things are going. LAS has had a couple of conferences cancel. And some Strip entertainers suddenly have had unexplained postponements of their returns that were scheduled for this week...

Not a problem--that's what I've been doing here since the pandemic started.  I haven't done any indoor dining/drinking at all.

This is the Specialty Coffee Association Expo.  Because of all the financial hits they would take if they broke contract (the conferences are planned out several years ahead), they only cancelled last year's Expo in Portland when the city and state of Oregon shut down all conventions.  I suspect they can't cancel unless New Orleans and/or the state of Louisiana does the same.

• 3 weeks later...

I've optimistically booked Thanksgiving flights, hotel, and rental car.  While the actual Thanksgiving get-together will be in southeastern PA again, since my sister is now back in NJ permanently we're coming into Newark rather than Philly, mostly because the rental car prices were much cheaper there.

• 3 weeks later...

Invited to appear at a conference in Hamburg next spring. I feel it's absolutely pointless to try to guess whether that will be possible or whether the conference will go ahead. 

5 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

Invited to appear at a conference in Hamburg next spring. I feel it's absolutely pointless to try to guess whether that will be possible or whether the conference will go ahead. 

I went to Hamburg two years ago and really liked it. I was just there for work but it made the list of places to take the fam once this is over.