So, where are *you* going next?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought it would be cool to have a thread -- akin to the Breakfast and Supper threads -- where we talk about the trips we've booked that we're looking forward to taking.   Cameron and I are going

Excellent!   False modesty will get you nowhere on this board. A Latin scholar spending a year doing research in Rome, eh? I look forward to your posts. By the way, when the woman said the pigs w

I hope you'll be sending us occasional reports about life in Rome.

Posted Images

Which reminds me of the amusing deterioration of a conversation I had, also many years ago, in a pub in London's Soho. There's an episode of Fawlty Towers which must have been based on it.

I got into conversation with a German academic who was visiting for a conference. I must have been telling him about my visits to Germany, because I said something nice about the architecture in Luneburg and nearby towns.

"There used to be more," he said, "but the RAF bombed it."

"You invaded Poland."

I’m sure I’ve posted about the time I was walking around gawking at downtown Hamburg and a local woman stopped me and asked me if I knew why all the buildings were modern.  “BECAUSE THE ALLIES DESTROYED THE CITY,” she helpfully volunteered.

I refrained from asking her if she knew why I had no living relatives in Europe.  

• Like 1

one time in a grocery store I overheard a polish woman bragging about how multicultural poland was in the 1930s, apparently they even had a lot of jews. 

I made the obvious point and it turns out it was all the germans fault. 

9 hours ago, AaronS said:

one time in a grocery store I overheard a polish woman bragging about how multicultural poland was in the 1930s, apparently they even had a lot of jews. 

I made the obvious point and it turns out it was all the germans fault. 

I really really want to tell an anecdote about something my dad said about Polish people (after having been treated very rudely about a couple of Polish women) because it's related (grocery store, Poland, Germans) but it would be highly offensive.     

While the SCA Coffee Expo is still technically on, I've decided not to go.  First there was the spike in cases, then some key vendors pulled out, then French Quarter Fest got cancelled, and finally Ida.  The SCA's USA chapter is also urging that they cancel the US Coffee Championships scheduled to be held at Expo.

The universe is definitely telling me something.  If I still think I can make a career out of coffee, being 2 years older than when I started, there's always Expo 2022 in Boston next April.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Attempting to visit Vancouver-area again, with a side trip to Victoria but no Penticton. Had to cancel the previous trip because of my mother's hospitalization. Hoping covid rates stay relatively low in the GVA. Doesn't look good province-wide, but that's primarily because of the interior. And we just increased to 3% tpr in my province, so I'm hoping it doesn't go up much more. 

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it turns out I'm going to New Orleans after all.  I just got a new job at a society, and the huge annual conference it runs is happening there next month.  Alas, it will probably be solid work and not much fun, but since I'll be there for 5 days maybe I can snatch some good eats time here and there.

• Like 1
On 8/26/2021 at 7:58 PM, Anthony Bonner said:

Had a guy in a resto in Berlin in 2004 start lecturing me on how war-like Americans were and how Germans could never be like that.

Ok buddy 

I was in Hamburg that long-ago summer on work for a German client, a manufacturing outfit.

At one point, just after I got there, my client's CEO told me how ashamed he was, as a German, about the two World Wars:  "We started two wars," he bemoaned, "and we lost them."

1 hour ago, Sneakeater said:

At one point, just after I got there, my client's CEO told me how ashamed he was, as a German, about the two World Wars:  "We started two wars," he bemoaned, "and we lost them."

To be fair, that could have been Hamburg dry humor that got lost in translation.