So, where are *you* going next?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought it would be cool to have a thread -- akin to the Breakfast and Supper threads -- where we talk about the trips we've booked that we're looking forward to taking.   Cameron and I are going

Excellent!   False modesty will get you nowhere on this board. A Latin scholar spending a year doing research in Rome, eh? I look forward to your posts. By the way, when the woman said the pigs w

I hope you'll be sending us occasional reports about life in Rome.

Posted Images

(It's true that I befriended a local lawyer whom I hired to help me out, and while out carousing we made all sorts of incredibly tasteless jokes about our infantrymen fathers' trying to kill each other.)

8 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

So where you're going next, is home.

But before we get there, the plan is to

A: stop and make purchases in each of Provincetown’s 4-6 recreational dispensaries

B: stop in Fall River and check out one or two of the amazing Portuguese grocery stores…Maybe this one…https://www.chavesmarket.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Same again, this time fall break. It’s an interesting scene, with ski teams from Ukraine, Czech, Belgium, what seems to be a huge youth team from Napoli, and of course the usual Germans/Austrians. Feels like pre Corona times, which I’m not sure is a good thing…

• 2 weeks later...

Recently in Miami...strange weather mix of cold/rain/wind interspersed with glorious 75 and sunny. 

Arizona in December was the plan but might change to somewhere with slightly less full hospitals. 

The south. As in Charlottesville, VA and Greensboro, NC.  For Thanksgiving.

Charlottseville is the stop over on the drive down, and we’ll visit Monticello while there.  Sister, nephews, spouses, grand niece, all have lived in Greensboro for what seems like forever (which is the case for my nephews). 

My other (younger) sister and my third nephew will be joining as well, and I can’t really remember the last time we were all together - maybe a funeral?

There is some allegedly good BBQ in Greensboro, which I’ll be seeking out. In Charlottseville, I’ll probably be hiding.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

might be time to revisit nola, maybe early next year

at least one restaurant we dined at has closed or soon will be (e.g., upperline). but there are so much more. 

just learned that kitchen witch cookbooks closed in 2019. *sigh* 

that’s unfortunate. i wish i had bought the 2nd printing of the joy of cooking when i saw it, and now i’ll never get another chance. iirc we didn’t have enough room in our luggage.

73BB1DBC-4896-4860-BFF3-E2AA086EEB01.jpeg

82FFBBD0-7EE1-4F2C-9362-133AB78CE506.jpeg

In the USA for TurkeyDay mais décembre (and the first few of Jan) is shaping up much, much better …

Arpege Gagnaire Granite Cèna Gagnaire Table Gresca Pellicer Alkimia Ricard Camarena Askua L'Escaleta Cork Nerua Bascook Kimtxu Sacha Saddle Cuenllas_Salesas La Buena Vida y adios amigos !

Plénitude ? Peut-être … but that kind of depends on how the equity markets are doing at that exact moment

Azurmendi ? Nope ! After my most recent visit in July, I’ve permanently crossed it off my list … anyway 6-8 times is enough already

Did Chambo make a major mistake by typing two times a Paris gastro resto ? No no no ! cuz Chambo will go and go. Ho ho ho ! Pierre wouldn’t want it any other way … et c’est la saison de la chasse, mes amis, and Chambo loves the hunt and likes to dig into freshly-caught flesh

And I’m leaving lots of légumes to whom ? They’re all yours, Joe … Joyeux Noël !

And am I leaving out some places ? Of course … the best ones ! The hidden treasures ! and lots and lots of lièvre … je peux pas parler de tous mes secrets, pfffffft !

The Blue Ridge Mountains really are all that...DSC00624.thumb.jpeg.d21b01081e24f44e5736c8e08b69ec03.jpeg

DSC00625.thumb.jpeg.14ba709c89f515db3944049b12e028df.jpeg

Caused by isoprene released from trees.

The drive down wasn't bad, since it was broken up by 2 nights in Charlottesville.

The drive home, from Greensboro, took close to 11 hour; the first 8 were fine, the last 3 covered a grand total of about 75 miles, and thank god for edibles.