Scorched Palate

So, where are *you* going next?

Two weeks from today, I'm moving to Rome for a year. I'll travel around Italy when I get the chance; other than that, next up is a few days in Tunisia in mid-October.

I hope you'll be sending us occasional reports about life in Rome.

• Like 11

Oh, of course... all sorts of hijinks and whatnot...

This is the summer of the college quest for the soon to be HS Senior....two and three day trips to Ithaca NY(Cornell), Middlebury and Burlington VT ( Middlebury, Uof V), DC ( American, Georgetown, which is a longshot along w/ Cornell) New Orleans, (Tulane) and Boulder CO ( U of C@Boulder). We'll plan some more southern schools in the Fall. However, we just came back from VT, and he's so crazy about Burlington and U of VT, he's now lukewarm to go anywhere else.

Friends are going to San Fran and Wine country in Sept, but I am working the campaigns again and the timing seems near impossible, but we're still considering.

The whole family will be in Vermont for a few weeks in Jan, Rutland/Okemo.

It's really fun to read where you are planning to go...really interesting destinations, for interesting reasons. I can't wait to change the paridigm for planning vacations, focussing on personal vacations instead of family vacations.

I know I'm setting the bar very high, but I have faith in you. Take a look at Maurice Naughton's Notes of A Parisite thread.

Two weeks from today, I'm moving to Rome for a year. I'll travel around Italy when I get the chance; other than that, next up is a few days in Tunisia in mid-October.

I would love to hear more about that.

Before the end of the year, I am taking a road trip south (Paso Robles, Ojai/Santa Barbara area, Pasadena, then maybe Long Beach and San Diego) for a bunch of reasons (visiting farms being primary, but also to visit Chef Zadi's family and the culinary academy where he teaches). I will also be going to Georgia, as both of my youngest sisters are having sons. I also hope to return to New York City and visit friends, and go back to Dévi and Blue Hill Stone Barns before the year is out. I also hope to visit Napa again, but I'm not going this month. Too damn hot!

Tana's coming to the school to do a seminar on small

farms.

I want to hear about Tunisia especially.

I know I'm setting the bar very high, but I have faith in you. Take a look at Maurice Naughton's Notes of A Parisite thread.

And be sure to look at my Swiss thread. A very high bar indeed. :(

Just got back from honeymoon on Martha's Vineyard. We stayed in a house in West Tisbury, a half mile lazy walk to Lambert's Cove Beach, where daises grew on the side of the road, Donald Sutherland happily rides his bike by.

It was a most excellent vacation. Edgartown is one of the greatest places I have been to, but that's probably b/c I am obsessed with pink, green, sailboats, hydrangeas, and fresh seafood.

Just got back from honeymoon on Martha's Vineyard. We stayed in a house in West Tisbury, a half mile lazy walk to Lambert's Cove Beach, where daises grew on the side of the road, Donald Sutherland happily rides his bike by.

It was a most excellent vacation. Edgartown is one of the greatest places I have been to, but that's probably b/c I am obsessed with pink, green, sailboats, hydrangeas, and fresh seafood.

Was the pink and green in the flowers or in the outfits of the summer residents; you know, like Muffy and Charles V. Farquar IV?

That is a high standard! Please don't expect me to be, like, all, cultured and stuff: hell, I can barely read. But-- to self-promote for a moment-- I do have a blog about my time in Rome, which for obvious reasons is very light on content at the moment. But I expect to fill it up with all kinds of good stuff once I get there, and I'm happy to contribute here as well.