So, where are *you* going next?

i am going to boulder! i'm planning to take arapahoe road down past scenic 95th street, and then 75th street, stopping for a few minutes to view the historic construction in progress at foothills parkway. then it will be past the very first home depot in boulder, the very first safeway, naropa university and then onto 17th street. my heart is already quickening at the thought of that awe-inspiring sight of macky auditorium as i climb the hill towards university. i expect i'll park in the euclid parking lot.

can anyone suggest any casual french-cambodian bistros to eat at along the way? i'm not fussy about price but they should grow all their own ingredients.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought it would be cool to have a thread -- akin to the Breakfast and Supper threads -- where we talk about the trips we've booked that we're looking forward to taking.   Cameron and I are going

Excellent!   False modesty will get you nowhere on this board. A Latin scholar spending a year doing research in Rome, eh? I look forward to your posts. By the way, when the woman said the pigs w

I hope you'll be sending us occasional reports about life in Rome.

Posted Images

Any hidden gems we should know about, especially little trattorias?
My favorite trattoria is Trattoria Camillo on Borgo San Jacopo on the other (south) side of the Arno. It is the old-fashioned florentine trattoria par excellence, with that the perfect casual, warm, this-trattoria-has-been-here-for-years feel that is appreciated by their casual yet elegant clientele. Service is professional and hopefully friendly but maybe slightly brusk if they are getting slammed and you want lots of explanations. It's a popular place. I prefer not sitting in the room into which you enter. It's a very short walk across the river on a lovely street with antique shops. If you are strolling around anyway, enjoy the walk across the Arno, check out the shops and check out the menu and space to see if it's your cup of tea. I usually allot one dinner to Camillo when in Florence and am always glad I do.

Cibreo has been around for years. It's a real restaurant, well-known place, not a hidden gem at all, with a slightly see-and-be-seen scene, but then again, Florence is pretty low key. The chef is pretty famous - Fabio Picchi. I think of the restaurant like this. Babbo is to New York as Cibreo is to Florence. I haven't eaten there in a handful of years, but I have enjoyed myself there on multiple occasions. I would get an up-to-date report, but it was one of the few good Restaurants, with a capital R. He also has a more casual place right near by, more rustic trattoria. But if I were to hike all the way to Cibreo, I go with the main restaurant.

And there is always Cantinetta Antinori in the lovely Palazzo Antinori. Nice space, if not slightly tight / cramped when full. Food is a solid good, others think it's better. They usually are serving all the Antinori wines by the glass, super tuscans included, which can be of interest to some.

Had a couple of great glasses of wine at the bar of Caninetta Antinori. Managed to dash in there on a rainy afternoon before the first table had arrived for dinner. The lack of customers allowed for long discussions about each wine and tastes of their estate-bottle olive oil.

In Oltrano, had a great lunch on a hot day last summer at Al Tranvai, a trattoria on Piazza Tasso. Rustic food in a family-run, relaxed place. Had a great zucchini 'meatball' in a simple red sauce that was memorable. Their panzanella was also quite good. Dessert here was mascarpone with tiny little chocolate chips and ladyfingers for dipping.

Also in Oltrano had lunch at Tratorria la Casalinga near Spirito Santo. Be sure to get the plate of anchovies in oil with toasted bread to start. This place is bright and bustling in contrast to Tranvai's relaxed, dimly lit room.

Just off of the Piazza Vecchio is a little place called Osteria Vini e Vecchi Sopori. Chalkboard out frond said "No Pizza. No Bistecca. No Ice." Had a taglialini in a great sauce of zucchini, garlic, and olive oil. Their fresh white beans with cracked pepper were very good. As was their papa al pomodoro. Run by a gruff man who saved a table for a bunch of regulars who looked like they might have eaten lunch there many times in the last 40 years. Breath of fresh air just beyond the crowds of the piazza.

Grom is a gelateria that uses lots of biodynamic ingredients and is near the Duomo. I think I liked the Sicilian lemon the best.

I am headed off down US 75 to Okmulgee Thursday for some burgers and pie at Coleman's.

Then Friday and Saturday, I will be in Bentonville, judging for the Fire Up Your Grill bbq competition. I might run down to Fayetteville Saturday morning to check out their Farmers Market first though.

Have a lovely time in the Bahamas. :ph43r:

Our Hawaiian cruise was nice, Hawaii was gorgeous, and we wouldn't have been able to see so much of it any other way. And it was nice to see different places while only unpacking once. That said, we were unimpressed with the cruise line, and many of its restrictions. Coolest part of trip was sailing past the erupting volcano, Kilauea, at night. That was absolutely worth seeing.

Sadly, my Paris trip with Emma has been indefinitely postponed (Daisy, PM your address and I will return the book) and the money will be spent on several new appliances. I am not pleased, but our cooktop is on its last legs and so is the hot water heater.

In June Scott and I will be camping at the Bonnaroo Festival with Busboy and Mrs. B, and then in July the four of us (and all our kids) are renting a house at the beach. Our livers may never recover. :lol:

Hartford, CT.

To catch a plane to the Bahamas.

Yes, we heard you loud and clear.

I saw that and thought to myself, I hope they have a swell time at Atlantis. So Hartford is the new cheap airport for flying into and out of NYC? Have a wonderful time, and remember all of us who can not be with you at Marsh Harbour or where ever. We are just so frigging jealous.

Hartford, CT.

I saw that and thought to myself, I hope they have a swell time at Atlantis. So Hartford is the new cheap airport for flying into and out of NYC? Have a wonderful time, and remember all of us who can not be with you at Marsh Harbour or where ever. We are just so frigging jealous.

North Current, on Eleuthera, actually. As far away from the teeming masses as possible.

joiei, I'm in Vermont, so Hartford and Albany are our nearest hubs.

Hartford, CT.

North Current, on Eleuthera, actually. As far away from the teeming masses as possible.

joiei, I'm in Vermont, so Hartford and Albany are our nearest hubs.

Gotcha, have a great trip. My boss just returned from their island off Marsh Harbour. I have never been there and really don't want to go, if I did go it would be to work.

• 3 weeks later...

Well after not going to Vienna last month (long story), we are planning our travel for later this year. We've decided to spend a lot of time at the house upstate over the next several months, and we will probably go to Europe in October.

But in the meantime, I have finalized our Mexico trip - 2 weeks at the end of December in the Yucatan. We've rented a house for a week, and we'll also be spending some time diving in Xcalac, on the very southern tip.

Here's the house:

http://www.mayanbeachgarden.com/Rental_Hom...s.html#pictures

I went to my first wine industry-related event in well over a year -- a fund-raiser for breast cancer. The auction lots were mostly being ignored and/or bid upon minimally. I got a week in an ocean-front house on Tortola, British Virgin Islands for really cheap. Now we've just got to figure out when to go...

They're opening a branch of Grom on the Upper West Side in a few weeks.
Supposedly, "free" samples are being given out this Saturday.

I say "free" because the lines will surely be long and it's only "free" if you value your time at zero. I think I'd rather pay double at an express line on Saturday.

Not being one to brag, I will not mention that I barged into Grom on sunny Thursday afternoon, introduced myself to Mr. Grom as his future best customer, told him how damn good-looking he is, shared with him my curiosity about the flavors and textures of his gelatos, mentioned that this curiosity had already killed my cat and was very close to killing me, and, softy that he is, this very Mr. Grom, a man with a very large, caring and empathetic heart, broke all previously known rules and regulations, threw capitalistic decorum to the wind, and offered me a life-saving, curiosity-ending, no-quotes-needed free taste or two of his eponymous gelatos, while swearing me to an absolute, omertaesque secrecy about their pros and cons until said Saturday's sunset and celebrating me as customer numero uno.

Softy that he is, I am planning on barging back into Grom this sunny Friday afternoon, reintroducing myself as his customer numero uno, reiterating how handsome he still is and reasserting that my curiosity has not been sated in the least, that it only caused me to dream about the flavors and textures of all those other gelatos hidden beneath those highly-reflective, shiny, stainless steel chapeaus, and that this secrecy-swearing ceremony is on the verge of destroying me, unless, just unless, my dear and sweet Mr. Grom, you could find it in your very decent and sin-free soul to grant me, your beloved future best customer, just one final free taste or two of some of those other revery-inducing gelatos and, if so, I would glady repay you with an absolute lips-sealed silence til said Saturday's sunset ...

He'll be a New Yorker in no time. You watch.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/02/dining/0...r=1&oref=slogin

Chambolle, please, get into his good graces by fair means or foul. With sycophantic pleading, oozing charm, bribery, pestering, love letters, by whatever means you can think up.

And once you have lodged yourself into his heart, take me with you on the next visit. :lol: