So, where are *you* going next?

We're staying in our usual B & B in our beloved Tyringham. Blantyre's website requests jacket and tie for men. We're strictly casual in the Berkshires, so not this time. It is beautiful from the road.

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought it would be cool to have a thread -- akin to the Breakfast and Supper threads -- where we talk about the trips we've booked that we're looking forward to taking.   Cameron and I are going

Excellent!   False modesty will get you nowhere on this board. A Latin scholar spending a year doing research in Rome, eh? I look forward to your posts. By the way, when the woman said the pigs w

I hope you'll be sending us occasional reports about life in Rome.

Posted Images

already had my two week holiday in Greece so just left this year are a week on the North Norfolk coast in a big house with all my family then the following week off to Munich for the Oktoberfest then in Oct up to Yorkshire to go to The Star Inn. Next year I am thinking of a grand tour of Japan or maybe a villa with lots of friends in Italy.

That depends on what you want to do and where you want to go. Japan is a much bigger country than people realize. You have excellent skiing at its northernmost point and tropical island conditions in the southernmost.

But as a general rule of thumb - Sakura season at the beginning of April is beautiful. You'll have good weather from March - end of May and then again from September to November. June and July you hazard torrential rain storms (but they usually only last a day and you get gorgeous sunsets and weather immediately after). August is too hot.

Summer is good though because you can usually find a festival (lots of natsu matsuri's where the girls all wear summer kimonos and stands are in the streets selling traditional fairground food). You'll can see traditional dances and music in the streets. And, the Japanese are masterminds at fireworks. If you are into that kind of thing, there is no firework show like the extravaganzas that they put on in Japan.

Oh, and Japanese winters are nice, just because you can go to an onsen in the mountains and bathe in a hot spring with the snow falling around you as you sip your sake.

There really is no bad time to visit Japan :o

It wouldn't happen to be one of my favorite places in the world though... :blink: :o (I just love that new smiley)

• 1 month later...

Looks like we will be here next June:

http://chatvau.com

My cousin has rented the property for 2 weeks and we agreed last night to take one of the rooms! It's amazingly inexpensive - comes out to about 600 USD per room per week (using 1:1.20)

Especially funny given that I was talking last night at dinner about trying to choose a place for vacation next May. I got home from dinner, there was an email, and voila!