So, where are *you* going next?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought it would be cool to have a thread -- akin to the Breakfast and Supper threads -- where we talk about the trips we've booked that we're looking forward to taking.   Cameron and I are going

Excellent!   False modesty will get you nowhere on this board. A Latin scholar spending a year doing research in Rome, eh? I look forward to your posts. By the way, when the woman said the pigs w

I hope you'll be sending us occasional reports about life in Rome.

Posted Images

thinking about argentina and chile, in january. it's like summer there, in january, right? what else do i need to know?

I saw a travel show where the host was talking to a UK expatriate in Argentina. He said everybody wears watches & nobody pays any attention to them, the Argentines have no sense of time. Sounds like my kind of place.

I saw a travel show where the host was talking to a UK expatriate in Argentina. He said everybody wears watches & nobody pays any attention to them, the Argentines have no sense of time. Sounds like my kind of place.

Until you're the one left waiting for an hour or so.

• 3 weeks later...

We're at Lake Tahoe for a ski week. My kids, grandkids and I. So far, the weather has been awful, snow and snow and more blowing snow. All the TV weather guys keep reporting all this snow and saying "the skiers are happy because..." Except that my skiers are not happy. It was a lot of trouble and money to fly to Tahoe, drag the skis, boots, etc. along, rent a ski house, and then just sit here and watch the storm through the picture window. All the lifts are shut down. The winds are just too strong. We're right across the street from the lift and ski runs. It's kind of eerie - looking out through the fog and snow and haze at the empty runs and the still chairs and gondola.

The gloom is only broken occasionally by the sight of the groomers hard at work in hopes of better ski days to come.

We've got our fingers crossed that they come soon.

Really soon.

We're going home on Thursday.

Of course, as a non-skiing grandma, I'm already happy. Sitting with my children and grandchildren in front of a crackling fire, a steaming mug of gluhwein in my hand.

We're at Lake Tahoe for a ski week. My kids, grandkids and I. So far, the weather has been awful, snow and snow and more blowing snow. All the TV weather guys keep reporting all this snow and saying "the skiers are happy because..." Except that my skiers are not happy. It was a lot of trouble and money to fly to Tahoe, drag the skis, boots, etc. along, rent a ski house, and then just sit here and watch the storm through the picture window. All the lifts are shut down. The winds are just too strong. We're right across the street from the lift and ski runs. It's kind of eerie - looking out through the fog and snow and haze at the empty runs and the still chairs and gondola.

The gloom is only broken occasionally by the sight of the groomers hard at work in hopes of better ski days to come.

Really soon.

Of course, as a non-skiing grandma, I'm already happy. Sitting with my children and grandchildren in front of a crackling fire, a steaming mug of gluhwein in my hand.

My philosophy is, if the lifts are running its skiable :)

January 24: Bogota for a week. Nataly is coming along, too. A friend who has never been out of the country got her passport and is coming as well. She and I will stay in a hotel. Nataly will stay with Mariem. I hope to get a LOT done while we are there however, we WILL do some sightseeing! Through the magic of Facebook I have been in contact with a 16 year old girl who was at Ciudadela for a year and is now living at home with her mom in the city while going to school at night. We'll meet her, probably take her to a salon for hair and nails, then shopping for some new clothes. I'm also bringing her one of the donated mp3 players. If it turns out that she is as responsible as I think she is (I could be wrong, of course), I'll try to find her a sponsor so that she can continue to work toward improving her life.

Really soon.

That's how I fell about it also. When it's windy, ski the glades rather than the bowls.

Going to Sacramento for a week starting on Saturday evening. Hope to get a couple of good days of skiing in near Lake Tahoe.

Really soon.

That's how I fell about it also. When it's windy, ski the glades rather than the bowls.

Yes. But unfortunately, the lifts were not running. And the ski patrol cleared everyone off. And the area was closed.

Much better today.

Heavenly is open on the lower runs; Sierra Tahoe completely open.

That should make for much less-disgruntled chitchat around the dinner table tonight.