So, where are *you* going next?

leave for 6 weeks in Cabo San Lucas and Todos Santos after the holidays.

Six weeks. Pretty fabulous.

I've been going down for almost 20 years. It started as 2-3 weeks; but we kept extending it...so the last few years just grew longer. This is likely our last year because K just got a new job and part of the deal was this time away..but not next year...:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought it would be cool to have a thread -- akin to the Breakfast and Supper threads -- where we talk about the trips we've booked that we're looking forward to taking.   Cameron and I are going

Excellent!   False modesty will get you nowhere on this board. A Latin scholar spending a year doing research in Rome, eh? I look forward to your posts. By the way, when the woman said the pigs w

I hope you'll be sending us occasional reports about life in Rome.

Posted Images

Just had to note this somewhere - #3 on the Telegraph's list of Italian vacation destinations.

3. Unspoilt Iseo

Pretty Lake Iseo is finding its way into more tour operators’ programmes. Less commercial than the larger lakes, it retains a very Italian atmosphere and is known for its fine dining, good hill walking and classical music concerts. Access is good using budget flights to Bergamo and Brescia, which are interesting cities in themselves.

I took us there 15 years ago when it was even more unspoilt & replete with local color - full of Austrians & Germans, no fine dining, no classical music, at night overrun by mobs from a caravan camp just outside of town.

The place actually did have its idyllic side. The lake is beautiful & you could find some lovely quiet waterside cafes.

Perhaps I should have been a travel agent, though I seem to lack the entrepreneurial temperament.

• 3 months later...

Just invited to fly to Washington DC, expenses paid, one night (will need a minimum of two due to travel times and fatigue.) We can extend it at our own cost for as long as we want. I haven't been since 1984, so I am game. M says "Congress is still open" which I think translates to "Yes please".

Late May - weather? Food? Too many museums. What else to consider? Have to accept in the next few days.

It will be very warm in late May, but not oppressive. No one goes to Washington for a gastronomic holiday, but last Thursday we had a delicious meal at Pesce Bistro Cafe. There are recommendations on MF in the appropriate regional forum. Washington will be very beautiful in late May, with lavish floral displays. As you pointed out, there are museums for every taste, but plenty to see and do without stepping inside any of them. That being said, over the weekend we enjoyed seeing the Freer-Sackler collections of Asian art and loved the Gershwin exhibit at the Library of Congress, to say nothing of the building itself. Just walking around Georgetown (pick up a self-guided walking tour booklet at the Old Stone House) is delightful. Eastern Market is another interesting non-Museum activity.

In Mexico right now, then some time back in nyc, then Tokyo, then nyc, then Madrid, then Tel-Aviv, then we'll see - depends on whether we end up starting an organic farm in Mexico or not... Haven't been to the west coast in ages.

On the other hand, we were there in early June two years ago and the weather was lovely. It's really July and August that are unbearable.

I lived in DC for 4 years - it can be crazy hot from May-October. July and August are just always hot.

My college graduation was on memorial day - it was 98 degrees. I was at a wedding there last year, same weekend - it was 95 degrees. And it isn't a dry heat.

organic "farm" - be careful people get their heads cut off over that sort of thing.

DC can be fucking insanely hot by the end of May. If you have real heat aversion (90/90 temp/humidity) keep that in mind. The city really is a swamp.

The local guy is like Schwarzenegger on steroids on steroids.

Lots o' business travel coming up.

The amuse is a trip to Portland OR tomorrow. Then it's OKC, Portland ME, and a return to the armpit that is Albuquerque.

Can someone please tell me something redeeming about Albuquerque?

Lots o' business travel coming up.

The amuse is a trip to Portland OR tomorrow. Then it's OKC, Portland ME, and a return to the armpit that is Albuquerque.

Can someone please tell me something redeeming about Albuquerque?

Green chile things?

Were it not for Albquerque, I would not exist (is that something redeeming or damning?).

On the other hand, we were there in early June two years ago and the weather was lovely. It's really July and August that are unbearable.

I lived in DC for 4 years - it can be crazy hot from May-October. July and August are just always hot.

My college graduation was on memorial day - it was 98 degrees. I was at a wedding there last year, same weekend - it was 95 degrees. And it isn't a dry heat.

I grew up in Maryland (I was also in DC last Memorial day for a wedding) and I'd have to agree with this. July and August are unbearable. Late May can really be hot. With the heat there is nearly always humidity. I do not miss that area one bit, esp in the summer months.