So, where are *you* going next?

Just invited to fly to Washington DC, expenses paid, one night (will need a minimum of two due to travel times and fatigue.) We can extend it at our own cost for as long as we want. I haven't been since 1984, so I am game. M says "Congress is still open" which I think translates to "Yes please".

Late May - weather? Food? Too many museums. What else to consider? Have to accept in the next few days.

You can pick up all sorts of food recommendations from the Don Rockwell board - http://donrockwell.com/index.php?act=idx - really a terrific resource.

My favorite museum in DC is the Phillips Collection, which resonates with me in so many ways. It was the country's first modern art museum. The scale of the place is refreshing after the National Mall institutions. It's also nicely located to combine with a stroll in the Dupont Circle area and/or a meal at the place Lippy recommends. http://www.phillipscollection.org/homepage.aspx

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought it would be cool to have a thread -- akin to the Breakfast and Supper threads -- where we talk about the trips we've booked that we're looking forward to taking.   Cameron and I are going

Excellent!   False modesty will get you nowhere on this board. A Latin scholar spending a year doing research in Rome, eh? I look forward to your posts. By the way, when the woman said the pigs w

I hope you'll be sending us occasional reports about life in Rome.

Posted Images

On the other hand, we were there in early June two years ago and the weather was lovely. It's really July and August that are unbearable.

I lived in DC for 4 years - it can be crazy hot from May-October. July and August are just always hot.

My college graduation was on memorial day - it was 98 degrees. I was at a wedding there last year, same weekend - it was 95 degrees. And it isn't a dry heat.

I can usually make it until June before I put in all of the window AC units (yes, I live in DC without central air). There are definitely some hot nasty days in May, but it's not consistent and the nights are usually mild enough to sleep with the windows opens.

July and August suck. You occasionally get a break in June and September. And every summer I look forward to October.

I love the Phillips and The Freer. A couple of other recommendations that might be nice for combining gardens and art - Dunbarton Oaks and Hillwood, Marjorie Merriweather Post's collection and estate.

Ha-ha, yes, it does get hot and humid, but May will be bearable and everything indoors will be air-conditioned.

In Mexico right now, then some time back in nyc, then Tokyo, then nyc, then Madrid, then Tel-Aviv, then we'll see - depends on whether we end up starting an organic farm in Mexico or not... Haven't been to the west coast in ages.

I have a certain amount of difficulty imagining you as a horny handed son of toil.

Just invited to fly to Washington DC, expenses paid, one night (will need a minimum of two due to travel times and fatigue.) We can extend it at our own cost for as long as we want. I haven't been since 1984, so I am game. M says "Congress is still open" which I think translates to "Yes please".

Late May - weather? Food? Too many museums. What else to consider? Have to accept in the next few days.

Not gonna address the weather. Too variable. And anyway, my strongest DC weather memory is of the blizzard that covered our Fiat Spider until only the tip of the radio antenna was visible. :lol:

But for museums: you might enjoy the National Building Museum in the old Pension Building. The building itself is fascinating -- was built to house Civil War pension administrators, iirc. And the exhibits are always really neat.

And we love the National Zoo.

I love the Phillips and The Freer. A couple of other recommendations that might be nice for combining gardens and art - Dunbarton Oaks and Hillwood, Marjorie Merriweather Post's collection and estate.

Ha-ha, yes, it does get hot and humid, but May will be bearable and everything indoors will be air-conditioned.

I enjoyed Dumbarton Oaks Gardens greatly, even in October. Can only imagine what it looks like in May. Didn't have time for Hillwood, but the surrounding neighborhood (Upper Georgetown?) was also nice for strolling.

I enjoyed Dumbarton Oaks Gardens greatly, even in October. Can only imagine what it looks like in May. Didn't have time for Hillwood, but the surrounding neighborhood (Upper Georgetown? Forest Hills) was also nice for strolling.

Hillwood is great. And I'll second the National Building Museum as well - I think that it's my favorite museum in DC.
I have a certain amount of difficulty imagining you as a horny handed son of toil.

But some how less difficulty in imaginging him as a remorseless exploiter of the peasant class.

Do you take me for rancho gordo?

The greatest difficulty here is how to get the peasant class to prefer working with you for $10 instead of trying to screw you for $0.01 (which is their rational course of action given the last few hundred years of history). One reason it's an interesting project is that we have a lead on that.

And if I have it my way it's going to be fairly close to a Kibbutz. A profitable one, of course.

Not gonna address the weather. Too variable. And anyway, my strongest DC weather memory is of the blizzard that covered our Fiat Spider until only the tip of the radio antenna was visible. :lol:

OTOH, on the Rockwell board folks are saying this is a freakish year because there are no local strawberries at the farmers' markets yet a/c the late snowstorms. They're going to have to wait another couple of weeks.

I enjoyed Dumbarton Oaks Gardens greatly, even in October. Can only imagine what it looks like in May. Didn't have time for Hillwood, but the surrounding neighborhood (Upper Georgetown?) was also nice for strolling.

I want to try to make it soon for the wisteria blooms, but I have a trip myself to Niagara, NY that may interfere with that plan.

Hillwood is just off of Tilden, near Beach Dr. N.W. It's a pretty location, you can drive there via Rock Creek Park.

http://www.hillwoodmuseum.org/visit/Hours_and_Directions.htm

Dumbarton is in Georgetown:

http://www.doaks.org/about/map_directions_parking.html

Edited by squibble

Headed to Austin the weekend of May 13-15. I am going to be judging BBQ at the Sam's Club National BBQ Tour tour schedule here

Then I want to check out this Franklin's bbq in Austin that I have been hearing about lately.

As a Bonus, I will get to spend the weekend also playing with my grandnieces at my niece's house in Round Rock.

Headed to Austin the weekend of May 13-15. I am going to be judging BBQ at the Sam's Club National BBQ Tour tour schedule here

Then I want to check out this Franklin's bbq in Austin that I have been hearing about lately.

As a Bonus, I will get to spend the weekend also playing with my grandnieces at my niece's house in Round Rock.

Oooh, I see they're coming to Medford Long Island end of Sept. Gonna mark my calendar for that one. Thanks J!

Looks like DC is a go! Staying right at Dupont Circle, that seems like a good spot for a week. I think I am suppose to go to the Strathmore Mansion one evening. Not much more info than that yet.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm sure Pesce Bistro will figure in there.

How is Capital used versus Capitol? I saw "Capital Beltway" on the Strathmore website - never associated "al" with DC.

Capitol - the building

Capital - the city?