So, where are *you* going next?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought it would be cool to have a thread -- akin to the Breakfast and Supper threads -- where we talk about the trips we've booked that we're looking forward to taking.   Cameron and I are going

Excellent!   False modesty will get you nowhere on this board. A Latin scholar spending a year doing research in Rome, eh? I look forward to your posts. By the way, when the woman said the pigs w

I hope you'll be sending us occasional reports about life in Rome.

Posted Images

Those are great pics. I love the one of Casa Battlo.

I know you didn't care for Barcelona, we loved it when we were there a couple of years ago. We had been to France the year before we went, and went to France again after a week in Barcelona. Our comment was that the people of Barcelona were so friendly!

Oh, I liked the place very much, the architecture, and the food. I thought it was beautiful, but overwhelmed by tourists. I did not find the people friendly at all, except for one of the vendors at La Boqueria, who joked with us, saying (pointing to R.,) that he was more elegant than the last man I was with. I admire anyone who can joke in a second, probably third language.

I liked it well enough for a week-long visit, but it didn't inspire fantasies about living there (in contrast to London or Paris). I doubt that I'll return.

• 2 months later...

Philadelphia in ten days, for a performance of Nico Muhly's Dark Sisters and dinner at Amma, both on our anniversary. (Didn't plan it as a celebration; the timing just worked out that way.) Our friends will probably try (again) to convince us to move to the retirement community where they live.<_<

Philadelphia in ten days, for a performance of Nico Muhly's Dark Sisters and dinner at Amma, both on our anniversary. (Didn't plan it as a celebration; the timing just worked out that way.) Our friends will probably try (again) to convince us to move to the retirement community where they live.<_<

Happy Anniversary!

My next trip is to this little island off the coast of NJ... Then on to New Orleans in a week.

• 2 months later...

We're leaving Monday morning to drive to Northern California. 2 weeks at his grandma's place in Fairfield, 15 minutes from Napa. Plus I get a weekend in San Francisco with my mom. I definitely need this right now.

It's not *next*, but there was a mistake fare on expedia.uk. In May for $85.52 (yes that is eighty-five dollars) I am traveling Business Class Yangon-Tokyo-Vancouver. For the trip to Yangon-a FF ticket in FC/BC to Tokyo for a bit and then on to Yangon to pick up the return. Taxes on the ff ticket are $50. Not a bad trip for 135.52. With what I saved on the airfare I see some serious dining in Tokyo coming my way :) .

• 5 months later...

I am a few hours away from landing in Bacolod Philippines. My flight from manila (where I am patiently waiting) doesn't leave till 4am. Then will spend a couple days in guimaras (famous for mangos), back to Bacolod, then on to Palawan to see the underground river and ending with a few days in manila. Whew! There's about a 60c difference between the wind chill in Winnipeg and the temp in manila but it feels good!

It looks like I'll be able to afford to go with my chorus to London at the end of May/beginning of June. We'll be performing with 2 other choruses at the Royal Festival Hall, singing the pieces that were performed at the Queen's coronation.

I am a few hours away from landing in Bacolod Philippines. My flight from manila (where I am patiently waiting) doesn't leave till 4am. Then will spend a couple days in guimaras (famous for mangos), back to Bacolod, then on to Palawan to see the underground river and ending with a few days in manila. Whew! There's about a 60c difference between the wind chill in Winnipeg and the temp in manila but it feels good!

Are you there to visit family? Or to have a good time?

both! Grandfather's 100th birthday on Saturday so we have three days of obligations ("small" family gathering on the 7th, large 200+ extended family gathering on the 8th, medium gathering on the 9th for the farm ppl). My mother's siblings will all be here by the 7th--she and I are escaping for a few days just prior--to brace ourselves for the onslaught, then the Monday after the parties, are escaping again. Except I get to escape for good, but she has to come back!

I was going to post in the reasons to be cheerful--one good thing about turning 100 is that you've mostly forgotten everyone and you approach them as though you've never met them before. My grandfather was actually nice to me today!

Anyone ever been to Guimaras (an island famous for mangoes) or Palawan? This week's escape is Guimaras, next week is Puerto Princesa in Palawan (famous for an underground river), then Manila. I've good food stuff taken care of for Manila, but there's not much info available on the other two, especially Guimaras!

• 1 month later...