Sanzari's New Bridge Inn

Actually, it's the confluence of New Milford, Hackensack, and River Edge.

Mike DiNigris is a pretty good friend of mine. He's also a pretty good cook who understands red sauce. Stick to pastas and familiar apps and you won't be disappointed. I had a pretty good plate of fresh roasted peppers, Buffala and prosciutto (12 bucks). My wife loved her special of avocado and crab as well as her halibut special main course. My Rigatoni Amatriciana (17 bucks) was too much to finish as well as being nicely executed. Good ingredients competently handled. Good ciabbata rolls and complimentary fruit afterwards--a "friend of the house" thing--made a nice meal.

It *was* pricey. No bargains at the bar and they pour some good wines by the glass and aren't afraid to charge for them. The bar bill can sneak up on you. An oban, a cosmo, A couple of Russel 2000 cabs and some type of chard.

The conclusion is that this is a pretty pleasant place to return to. Especially on a Monday night when there is damn little to eat around these parts. We're going back.

about $165.00 for two all in.

• 2 months later...

This place might be a bit more crowded now, Nick.

Reviewer David Bonom gave the New Bridge Inn three stars in his recent comments. Liked pretty much everything about it. Liked the wine list, liked the meats, appreciated the service. Found a minor flaw or two in the desserts, and pushed back a bit on the city-like prices.

Solid, positive comments.

Sanzari's New Bridge

• 1 month later...
This place might be a bit more crowded now, Nick.

Reviewer David Bonom gave the New Bridge Inn three stars in his recent comments. Liked pretty much everything about it. Liked the wine list, liked the meats, appreciated the service. Found a minor flaw or two in the  desserts, and pushed back a bit on the city-like prices.

Solid, positive comments.

Sanzari's New Bridge

RP, the issue I have here is that the Bergen Record ALWAYS gives a good review! 19 of 20 reviews have 3 stars. Not really credible. I suspect that it's considered a way to try to get the business to advertise with them. David Corcoran would be a far more credible source, IMHO.

Also, little creativity here. Maybe as Nick says, he is doing the standard fare well, but for me those dishes are a throwback to the 70s. This restaurant sounds a lot along the lines of Solaia in Englewood, a highly (over)priced place with a pretty ordinary menu...

• 6 months later...

RP, the issue I have here is that the Bergen Record ALWAYS gives a good review! 19 of 20 reviews have 3 stars. Not really credible. I suspect that it's considered a way to try to get the business to advertise with them. David Corcoran would be a far more credible source, IMHO.

Also, little creativity here. Maybe as Nick says, he is doing the standard fare well, but for me those dishes are a throwback to the 70s. This restaurant sounds a lot along the lines of Solaia in Englewood, a highly (over)priced place with a pretty ordinary menu...

Should have seen the review for the new Sanzari's in Tenafly that came out Friday, 4/28! It was almost as bad as mine...Wait, does that mean...Nah

-Joe

By the way, if I seem a bit harsh, it's not Sanzari's in particular. As previously stated, I am not a foodie. I eat out often because of my work. If I go to a fast food place, I know what to expect for my "value meal" dollar. If I eat at a neighborhood bar, I know I'm gonna get deep fried institutional food, or be very pleasantly suprised. So if I lay out more for a "Top End" meal, that's what I expect and deserve.

This is why I didn't do the Velvet Rope deal in the 70's and 80's. If you are that exclusive, you won't care about your individual customer. This is how I was made to feel on my second visit. I never send food back. I figure if the best effort wasn't made initially, in general, it won't get better.

I give anyplace three tries, than take the average. My first visit here in February was pretty good- Guess I'll see what happens. Better wait though, as I'm still smarting.... -Joe

Should have seen the review for the new Sanzari's in Tenafly that came out Friday, 4/28! It was almost as bad as mine...Wait, does that mean...Nah

-Joe

Sorry. Confused for a moment.

• 11 months later...

I'm glad I found this thread. A friend of mine who we are going to dinner with wanted to go here. I said fine, not a problem at all. I'll post my comments, thoughts, etc.

I like Mike and haven't seen him for a while, and I've actually been meaning to reach out for him.

Eric

Went for dinner Saturday night. Everything was great! On time and seated for our reservations. Wouldn't have been bad to wait at the bar either -- a very nice, large bar area. The service was good. Very attentive, good advice, recommendations, and very good explanations of dishes, ingredients, etc. Everyone's drinks were very good -- the martini's were done perfectly, exactly as ordered.

The spedini, calamari and PEI mussels appetizers were enjoyed by the entire party of 5. It may seem easy to do, and I like spedini very much, but I've seen it messed up. I shared a ceasar salad, so that was just a nice break, LOL before the entree. The entrees were very good -- everyone liked their dish very much. My steak was cooked perfect -- right on. The au poive sauce was very flavorful.

Desert and after dinner drinks were great as well. Try the Bannana Chocolate Cream Pie. A great way to top off a very good meal. Mike DeNigris does an exceptional job. I've always liked him as a chef and thought he's done a very good job wherever he's been (at least the last 3 places, LOL).

The only way to make it better? It would have been great if right after the meal, if I would have been able to fire up that nice Bolivar corona gigante that I had. So, I waited until I got home. They do have a nice gazebo right outside for smokers.

Eric

• 1 year later...

Elisa Ung re-reviewed the Sanzari New Bridge Inn, giving it 2.5 stars in the Record. new chef, new price points, some remodeling, etc.

Bill Pitcher took the opportunity to resurrect David Bonom's review of the place in 2005, and I'm reminded how much I like Bonom's style of writing. It flows easily, has a nice pace to it, mentions the price, compares what he expected to what he got, etc.

Pitcher's revival of Bonom

Ung's current review