cristina

Mexican Cooking Project #9

Corn is in peak condition right now so I made crema de elote con chile poblano. What a fantastic soup. In one batch, I stirred in some Spanish chorizo. I was thinking how happy this soup would make me in the dead of winter. Could I freeze it?

• Like 1

Corn is in peak condition right now so I made crema de elote con chile poblano. What a fantastic soup. In one batch, I stirred in some Spanish chorizo. I was thinking how happy this soup would make me in the dead of winter. Could I freeze it?

Can you share the recipe (is it already posted in this thread)?

Duh, sorry. A bit distracted this morning.

Abby, I'd freeze the soup without the crema & add that after thawing.

Since it's potato-free, I think it would freeze just fine.

I was thinking, I wonder who posted the recipe. Lo and behold, 'twas I!

It's soooo good. Abby, I'm glad you like it. Freeze it without the crema, as GG suggested, and it should work well.

Made this last night with the freshest, sweetest corn I've ever had. The soup was almost (almost, mind you :huh: too sweet, so I served it with a big dollop, nearly a sploosh really, of taramousalata smack dab in the middle with a little chiffonade of fresh basil. Very nice indeed and thank you for the recipe!

Great idea. I was also thinking that the addition of shrimp would not suck.

This weekend I'm going to make my winter batch.

Liza, this taramasalata thing sounds brilliant!

i need to make this asap but in general i dislike pureed soups - can i keep the soup chunky? or maybe just whizz some of it for thick texture...

speaking of corn in general i must confess that i find american corn too sweet - probably after being conditioned for so long on russian corn (grown for cows mostly although some was canned - canned corn was a delicacy and hard to find - always sold out). Russian corn cobs needed couple of hours of boiling to become edible and kernels were large...

I vaguely recall similar complaints about the corn sweetness on eG mexican board :huh:

(and this is a recurring subject on russian boards here in US)

Helena, I know what you mean about corn being too sweet. When I eat a piece of corn that has a balance of sweetness and real corniness, that's the ultimate. But I don't experience that very often.

i need to make this asap but in general i dislike pureed soups - can i keep the soup chunky? or maybe just whizz some of it for thick texture...

helena because I am LAZY, I did not strain the soup, I just whizzed it with my hand blender.

In Mexico, they don't use such sweet corn. It's starchier but it has more corn flavor. Some of these new supersweet corns are cloying. I wish we could use old corn that's gone starchy and then add a few drops of Tia ChiChi's Liquid Corn Extract.

I know, I know. I've written about the over-sweetness of corn before (probably on eG, Helena). I have a hunch that the next "back-to-old-fashioned-taste-heirloom-seed-project" will be with corn. If it hasn't already happened. I do remember corn tasting "cornier," less sweet when I was very young. RG, do you know anyone involved in retro corn seed searches?