cristina

Mexican Cooking Project #9

The Seed Savers Exchange has hundreds of them but corn crosses really easily so you have to grow different varieties at least half a mile apart, some say. Not to get on my soapbox, but this is in particualr why it's important to really know what the hell GMO corns are going to do and not to have them pollute the purer strains.

I have the "insider" SSE book so if you're keen on growing heirloom corn, (Sweet, starch or dent), I can help get some seeds for next year. The sweet types tend to be what we remember. But you have to eat it PDQ.

I grew starchy corn once and couldn't give it away.

• Like 1

The Seed Savers Exchange has hundreds of them but corn crosses really easily so you have to grow different varieties at least half a mile apart, some say. Not to get on my soapbox, but this is in particualr why it's important to really know what the hell GMO corns are going to do and not to have them pollute the purer strains.

I have the "insider" SSE book so if you're keen on growing heirloom corn, (Sweet, starch or dent), I can help get some seeds for next year. The sweet types tend to be what we remember. But you have to eat it PDQ.

I grew starchy corn once and couldn't give it away.

Interesting. And you're right to be alarmed about GMO crops, corn in particular. I wish that I could grow corn, but I haven't anywhere to garden :huh: .