atelier crenn

the room has only eight tables and yet i can barely hear hubby. there’s lots of wood and zero sound absorption. i just don’t understand how a three star michelin restaurant doesn’t have carpeting. it’s not like they can’t afford it.

may 2017 review at the infatuation

june 2018 sf chronicle review

oh, but you’re not here to read my rants about the décor.

some dishes worked such as dry-aged black cod served with meyer lemon, chard kimchi, preserved persimmon and herb/flower salad and dungeness crab ice cream with caviar, crab chicharrón and crab broth, and others were a complete miss (like a beet ceviche in which the grated root vegetable bordered on acrid due to being overwhelmed by vinegar) and a carrot taco with rutabaga and turnip purée that basically tasted like nothing. 

a fermented leek tart (leek custard, buckwheat sablèe, leek tempura) doubles as a cheese course and bridges savory and sweet. some of you who are purists might find yourself wishing for plain old cheese instead.

i’m glad we went, but i don’t think we’ll be returning anytime soon. 

IMG_1768.jpeg

IMG_1771.jpeg

IMG_1773.jpeg

IMG_1777.jpeg

IMG_1779.jpeg

IMG_1781.jpeg

IMG_1782.jpeg

IMG_1785.jpeg

IMG_1788.jpeg

IMG_1789.jpeg

IMG_1791.jpeg

IMG_1794.jpeg

IMG_1798.jpeg

IMG_1796.jpeg

IMG_1803.jpeg

IMG_1804.jpeg

IMG_1806.jpeg

IMG_1807.jpeg

IMG_1808.jpeg

IMG_1810.jpeg

IMG_1812.jpeg

IMG_1813.jpeg

IMG_1815.jpeg

Edited by Diancecht

You remind me of my one very sad experience at Petit Crenn where the food was coming out too salty, eventually inedible so. Seated at the counter overlooking the kitchen I eventually saw what was happening. A young line cook was constantly — constantly — tasting what he was cooking and, finding it under seasoned, was adding more salt. If he’d been doing that for a couple of hours, no wonder he couldn’t taste the salt any more.

3 hours ago, cinghiale said:

I had dinner at Petit Crenn in 2019 - very enjoyable and at a much gentler price point than Atelier. It looks like it then closed (Covid?) and recently reopened as a venue for pop-ups.

I too had a very nice dinner at Petit Crenn around the same time.  It didn't hurt that one of the friends we were with personally knew the sommelier.