What have you rented lately?

We finally starting borrowing from the library - so we have their entire collection to appease us.

Man on Wire - I know everyone said this was good - they were right.

Bottle Shock - good story, poor movie (nice scenery!) Turns out a friend worked for Montelena in the late 70's.

The Hit - how is it possible that was from '84 and we'd never seen it? No idea about the theme that runs through it.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I liked All the Real Girls so much that I re-watched the movie with the Director's commentary on. I thought only movie geeks did that   Looking forward to George Washington, by the same director.

Like so many Hollywood films it's didactic rather than real, schematic rather than believable.

Beals must have had a brief part. I don't remember her at all. I thought Bacon's was a fun little vignette.

Odd Gregory Peck craving...

Watched Twelve O'Clock High this morning, am in the middle of Gentleman's Agreement, will probably segue into Horatio Hornblower and finish up with Moby Dick.

Remind me that I need to download Old Gringo.

Seeing the recent BritCrime flick Harry Brown put me in the mood for some vintage Michael Caine.

I started with the original Get Carter which, if I had seen before I don't seem to recall but I thoroughly enjoyed. That segued into Day of the Jackal with Edward Fox, an actor I think is very underrated and overlooked. I'll probably finish up the evening with The Limey and/or Sexy Beast, although I would prefer to stay with the early 70s era. I'll have to see if I own the Ipcress File...

Seeing the recent BritCrime flick Harry Brown put me in the mood for some vintage Michael Caine.

I started with the original Get Carter which, if I had seen before I don't seem to recall but I thoroughly enjoyed. That segued into Day of the Jackal with Edward Fox, an actor I think is very underrated and overlooked. I'll probably finish up the evening with The Limey and/or Sexy Beast, although I would prefer to stay with the early 70s era. I'll have to see if I own the Ipcress File...

This should naturally lead to Gangster #1 with David Thewlis and Paul Bettany. Be warned, though. It's brutal.

This should naturally lead to Gangster #1 with David Thewlis and Paul Bettany. Be warned, though. It's brutal.

Ooooh.... A movie I haven't seen! Can't be any more brutal than Irreversible. Talk about brutal! There's the only movie I've never been able to finish watching and I have a really strong stomach.

Rescue Dawn. Entertaining enough but neither one thing (Rambo) nor another (Aguirre). Is Herzog reduced to making moderately commercial features (this, Bad Lieutenant) to finance the things he actually wants to make?
The Damned United A story of man-love and victorious underdogs. Thoroughly recommended.

Picked this up over the weekend and thanks to you for the rec. Nice to see Michael Sheen in a role that really gave him something to chew. Thoroughly enjoyable and I might have to watch it again.

• 2 weeks later...
"The International." A slick thriller with Clive Owen and Naomi Watts, stylishly directed by Tom Tykwer. Imagine if "All the President's Men" had gunfights and you'll begin to understand the premise. Owen is an Interpol agent investigating the shadowy and corrupt dealings of IBBC, a Luxembourg based bank loosely based on BCCI. The bank is immensely powerful and has the ability to get law enforcement agencies around the world to look the other way as it does it's dirty business. Those isolated investigators who press their inquiries too closely wind up dead.

Tykwer specializes in in maneuvering his characters against a grid of glossy modern buildings, emphasizing their insignificance compared to the entrenched corruption they're fighting. But don't think about that - just watch it. It works beautifully.

This film has more exotic locations than a Bond movie. Berlin, Lyon, Luxembourg, Milan, New York, Istanbul. All are used to great effect. There is one scene in particular, set at the Guggenheim, that's as good as anything I've seen in the last 3 years.

I mentioned "All the President's Men" earlier for two reasons. Besides having visual similarities the script of ATPM was done by William Goldman, one of the best screenwriters around. While "The International" moves along briskly most of the time there are a handful of scenes where the dialog gets muddy. Goldman would have dazzled you at those moments but "The International" just limps along. Luckily there aren't too many of these and the film's strengths far outweigh it's weaknesses.

Recommended.

Watched this last night. Agreed on all points. Fine, sharply drawn entertainment. The Guggenheim scene exceeded all expectations.

Excellent recommendation.

Rocky & Bullwinkle & Friends

Watching this stuff again, 50 years later, reminds me anew of where I got my taste for wit & wordplay. (Not that it's developed much since then, of course.)

I mean, they didn't have anything anywhere near that sophsticated in the public schools of the day.