What have you rented lately?

I don't think the movie diminished any of the horrific acts perpetrated by the Nazis. What it did do, IMO, was let those acts lay implicit while attempting to examine the "end of days" as they revolve around the charactors portrayed in the film. Doing it without resorting to Darth Vader caricatures. Indeed, the depth of charactor and the myriad facets portrayed bring home an even greater horror. That these were real people like you and I that perpetrated and gave consent to these heinous acts.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I liked All the Real Girls so much that I re-watched the movie with the Director's commentary on. I thought only movie geeks did that   Looking forward to George Washington, by the same director.

Like so many Hollywood films it's didactic rather than real, schematic rather than believable.

Beals must have had a brief part. I don't remember her at all. I thought Bacon's was a fun little vignette.

Self-serving to the German people.

The basic tone is that decent Germans had been hood-winked, seduced, blinded to and by madness.

Instead of it being something that many people felt comfortable living with and some indeed chose.

As it was a German film, and having lived in Germany, one of the first things I thought of was how it would be felt by that audience.

By the way, the documentary of interviews with Traudl Junge, Blind Spot, played soon after on another channel. Tremendous documentary. I can see how, as she said, at the centre of a storm it can seem calm and it is perfectly reasonable she knew nothing of, let alone the enormity of, the evil wrought. And yet when it later did, the guilt she felt at her own shallow self-concern and disregard for questioning was itself enormous. And hopefully assuaged by her later actions.

(The actress playing Junge in Downfall was great too. All of the cast were.)

Self-serving to the German people.

The basic tone is that decent Germans had been hood-winked, seduced, blinded to and by madness.

Instead of it being something that many people felt comfortable living with and some indeed chose.

As it was a German film, and having lived in Germany, one of the first things I thought of was how it would be felt by that audience.

I thought it portrayed them as primarily being complacently nationalistic. In other words, your garden variety fox news enthusiast. Probably pretty close to the truth.

Strongly recommend this book on the topic:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067977268...glance&n=283155

Hitler's Willing Executioners : Ordinary Germans and the Holocaust , by Daniel J. Goldhagen

From Publishers Weekly:

"Goldhagen's gripping and shocking landmark study transforms our understanding of the Holocaust. Refuting the widespread notion that those who carried out the genocide of Jews were primarily SS men or Nazi party members, he demonstrates that the perpetrators?those who staffed and oversaw the concentration camps, slave labor camps, genocidal army units, police battalions, ghettos, death marches?were, for the most part, ordinary German men and women: merchants, civil servants, academics, farmers, students, managers, skilled and unskilled workers. Rejecting the conventional view that the killers were slavishly carrying out orders under coercion, Goldhagen, assistant professor of government at Harvard, uses hitherto untapped primary sources, including the testimonies of the perpetrators themselves, to show that they killed Jews willingly, approvingly, even zealously. Hitler's genocidal program of a "Final Solution" found ready accomplices in these ordinary Germans who, as Goldhagen persuasively argues, had absorbed a virulent, "eliminationist" anti-Semitism, prevalent as far back as the 18th century, which demonized the Jews and called for their expulsion or physical annihilation. Furthermore, his research reveals that a large proportion of the killers were told by their commanders that they could disobey orders to kill, without fear of retribution?yet they slaughtered Jews anyway. By his careful estimate, hundreds of thousands of Germans were directly involved in the mass murder, and millions more knew of the ongoing genocide. Among the 30 photographs are snapshots taken by the murderers of themselves and their victims."

A thought-provoking review of the book was published in the New York Review of Books, but unfortunately it's not available for free on line. However, Goldhagen's letter to the NYRB in response to the review is here:

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/1278

That's an excellent book, omni.

Behometh, the portrayal of Schenck is the key to my interpretation of the film.

But, of course, it's just my interpretation.

And I do indeed think it's a very good film although I'd not want to see it again. (I prefer the Alec Guinness version.)

Strongly recommend this book on the topic:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067977268...glance&n=283155

Hitler's Willing Executioners : Ordinary Germans and the Holocaust , by Daniel J. Goldhagen

It's a well-known book, and there were discussions about it all over the place when it came out. Mouthfuls is probably not the most useful place to analyze the underlying causes of the holocaust, and we are probably not the most qualified people to be having this discussion. The above conversation had only to do with how the movie "downfall" represented events of WWII from the perspective of Traudl Junge, as given in interviews.

Slap Shot--1977 movie about a minor-league hockey team. More fighting and cursing than you can shake a stick at, and even Paul Newman gets into the act. With cameos from M. Emmett Walsh and Swoosie Kurtz.

The. Best. Hockey. Movie. Ever.