57th Street, river to river

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not likely that there would be an elevator in a corner.  This building has been a problem for a generation, and I suspect boarded-up windows have something to do with squatters.

Right, I see some windows are boarded up. I meant in my post the windows that have been bricked up, down one side (just left of corner, vertical row of windows) on corner of 9th. I see many buldings where that has happended, but I don't know why. It seems such a pity to fill in space where all those windows were.

One building you missed that is also a designated landmark is CAMI Hall, at 165 West 57th (right across from Carnegie Hall) and home to Columbia Arts Management Inc., a leading music management firm.

No, I didn't miss it. It's there, above. See Chalif Normal School of Dance (the original name of the building.) I mention CAMI in the post, too.

Yvonne, it probably has to do with something structural. When the building is restored, as I'm sure it will be one of these days, the windows will be re-opened. I find it interesting that the building was finally designated in June. I'm going to try to find out if there is a new owner.

If you go past the west side highway you hit a small riverside park (at least, I think you do- it starts at 54th street and goes north a few blocks). It's newly done, with a statue of a giant bottle on its side. The city or the parks service is really putting in a lot of effort to the riverside promenade north of 54th street.

The nice thing is that it doesn't get crowded like the riverside parks and promenades south of 20th street. A great place to watch the sunset or escape the oppressive heat of Manhattan.

I used to live in a tower almost on the corner of 57th and 8th, right opposite the Hearst "base". It was an extraordinary sight: an unfinished skyscraper. It will be interesting to see what the it looks like when it is belatedly completed, although there does seem to be a clash of styles here. The block between 8th and 9th Avenues is lined with very poor restaurants - Italian, French, Chinese, all mediocre. DJ Reynolds was my local pub for a time, and the fish and chips weren't bad.

Did anyone mention the very small greenmarket on the south east corner of 57th and 9th? The long-time owner of Armstrong's died a couple of years back - there was a thread on eGullet about it. It seems a long time ago that this was my neighborhood. The main benefits were having Central Park a few steps uptown from the apartment, and easy access to good food shopping on 9th Avenue heading downtown.

Did anyone mention the very small greenmarket on the south east corner of 57th and 9th?

Yes. Above: "On the s.e. corner is a little plaza where there is a Greenmarket on Wednesdays and Saturdays."

Here's one I did overlook: p80800037mc.th.jpg

It's an IRT power station, located at 152-54 East 57th, dating from 1917. Railpaul, this may be the one you were thinking of when you thought that the Nike store had been a power station.

• 16 years later...
On 8/2/2005 at 1:53 PM, Wilfrid1 said:

This block or the block before? On the south side, a hotel with adjacent restaurant premises. When I arrived in New York, the restaurant was Le Chantilly - almost indistinguishable from La Caravelle, and boasting a promising young chef named David Ruggiero. The space then became Ruggiero's, and after he and his maitre d' performed some intriguing sleight-of-hand with credit card slips, it became something else. I dined at Ruggiero's once, and it was not especially memorable.

Eventually it emerged as BLT Steak.

Also, isn't there a newish cabaret room along this stretch somewhere?

And Ruggiero is telling his story in the May Vanity Fair (even if the online version is dated March.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2022/03/the-life-and-confessions-of-mob-chef-david-ruggerio/amp