i'm practically queasy at the idea that this place will soon become so jammed that i'll never get to eat there again. a new hidden gem has emerged from all this burning concrete and we may as well celebrate while we ponder the long waits in line to come......but wait we should. Tides on norfolk and delancey street has arrived in all its 22 seat glory. you might say.....what! another offering of the seaside fish shack. merde! but wait. ultra fresh seafood, fried oysters and clams in a batter so delicate and sweet that any possible guilt is immediately waved off and sent packing, skewers of well seasoned grilled shrimp, whole perfectly cooked daurade and pompano, grilled haricot verts that packs a white gloved punch, a corn pudding that counts no points on presentation, just a small pale golden square in the midst of a white plate....but.....it melts in your mouth and the taste that lingers after is filled with a velvety essence of deep sweet summer corn. and yes virginia - there is a lobster roll. beautifully cooked, seasoned with cucumber and dill on the appropriate toasted hot dog bun. each season they plan to add a seasoning/ingredient to sharpen and support the lobsterness of it all. not an imposition, just some fun. i'm a purist and i loved it. some might want to argue the fact - i couldn't be less interested, it was delicious.

the wine list is small - about 3 or 4 bottles of each color. but a beautiful white bandol among the other nice choices was a big hit at our table. and the table - oh my. a candle is inset into the top and fills the white frosted edges with light so that they all seem to float. the place couldn't be smaller but what they created was a fun and stylish backdrop for an alumnus of mary's fish camp to cook in and cook beautifully. the ceiling is kind of a mosaic of these teeny bamboo thingies, the lighting is soft and inviting, and the bathroom sink has wit. it's a tiny place with a small but balanced menu and smaller but tasteful wine list and delightful, warm service and attention from the owners/staff.....an itsy bitsy resort on some fantasy sea and in lieu of a house in the seychelles, i'll take it.

• Like 2
  • Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i'm practically queasy at the idea that this place will soon become so jammed that i'll never get to eat there again. a new hidden gem has emerged from all this burning concrete and we may as well cel

Shills. No wonder they kicked you all off CH. Even M. Gorbachev couldn't take it.   http://www.chowhound.com/boards/sitetalk/messages/15846.html

Is the corn pudding at all like Indiana Soofle?

i'm practically queasy at the idea that this place will soon become so jammed that i'll never get to eat there again. a new hidden gem has emerged from all this burning concrete and we may as well celebrate while we ponder the long waits in line to come......but wait we should. Tides on norfolk and delancey street has arrived in all its 22 seat glory. you might say.....what! another offering of the seaside fish shack. merde! but wait. ultra fresh seafood, fried oysters and clams in a batter so delicate and sweet that any possible guilt is immediately waved off and sent packing, skewers of well seasoned grilled shrimp, whole perfectly cooked daurade and pompano, grilled haricot verts that packs a white gloved punch, a corn pudding that counts no points on presentation, just a small pale golden square in the midst of a white plate....but.....it melts in your mouth and the taste that lingers after is filled with a velvety essence of deep sweet summer corn. and yes virginia - there is a lobster roll. beautifully cooked, seasoned with cucumber and dill on the appropriate toasted hot dog bun. each season they plan to add a seasoning/ingredient to sharpen and support the lobsterness of it all. not an imposition, just some fun. i'm a purist and i loved it. some might want to argue the fact - i couldn't be less interested, it was delicious.

the wine list is small - about 3 or 4 bottles of each color. but a beautiful white bandol among the other nice choices was a big hit at our table. and the table - oh my. a candle is inset into the top and fills the white frosted edges with light so that they all seem to float. the place couldn't be smaller but what they created was a fun and stylish backdrop for an alumnus of mary's fish camp to cook in and cook beautifully. the ceiling is kind of a mosaic of these teeny bamboo thingies, the lighting is soft and inviting, and the bathroom sink has wit. it's a tiny place with a small but balanced menu and smaller but tasteful wine list and delightful, warm service and attention from the owners/staff.....an itsy bitsy resort on some fantasy sea and in lieu of a house in the seychelles, i'll take it.

What are you on? Is it on the market?

my guess is that they don't serve lunch but i'm not entirely sure. there were six of us, we had two or three bottles of wine from their list (but we had brought three bottles of wine with us that in the future will have a minimal corkage fee), and the bill came to 55$ apiece.

What are you on? Is it on the market?

why? did you hate it or something?

Twas a good post. I reacted here the same way Yvonne did but then said to myself (without moving my lips, I hope); "that sounds like a Chowhound post... lot's of discovery excitement...think I'll go check out the boards over there". I went over to CH, spotted the post, saw the flack you were getting &, just when I was in the middle of writing a post defending your excitement, 70% of the thread was removed (including your own response tirade). How 'bout that. :blink:

it was rather surprising - and then i was admonished for writing a retort - but in an email, not on the now removed thread. glad that i happened to catch it though. thanks for the almost written defense......in any case - you should go. i don't know these people at all but they were very, very nice.

Ah, yes. Don'tcha know, I'm a big shill for Cantoon Garden. It's all those free chopsticks they keep giving me.

Don't forget the super-sized Wet Ones. The ones that are "the best". I know they give them to you, too.